Hi Guennadi,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 01:12, Guennadi Liakhovetski
<g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As discussed at the last V4L2 meeting in Warsaw, one of the prerequisites
> to support fast switching between different image formats is an ability to
> preallocate buffers of different sizes and handle them over to the driver
> in advance. This avoids the need to allocate buffers at the time of
> switching. This patch series is a first implementation of these ioctl()s,
> implemented for the sh_mobile_ceu_camera soc-camera host driver. Tested on
> an sh7722 migor SuperH platform. Yes, I know, documentation is missing
> yet;-)

I will have to wait for documentation before doing a full review, it's
hard to comment without it. Also, please mention how the new ioctls
influence the state machine. Some questions and doubts I'm having:
- Can you call CREATE more than once, before/after REQBUFS, for all
streaming states? What about reading/writing?
- Can driver decline CREATE if it is not supported? What if the format
is not supported?
- If we fail allocating in CREATE, should the whole queue be freed (as
it is done in your patch I believe)?
- I'm assuming REQBUFS(0) is to free buffers allocated with CREATE too?
- Are we allowing DESTROY to free arbitrary span of buffers (i.e.
those created with REQBUFS as well)?
- Are "holes" in buffer indexes allowed? I don't like the ability to
free an arbitrary span of buffers in the queue, it complicates checks
in many places and I don't think is worth it...
- I understand SUBMIT is optional?
- Could you give an example of how this could be used in an application?

--
Best regards,
Pawel Osciak