Hi Laurent,
Thank you for your comments.
> Hi Hans, Tomasz,
>
> On Monday 11 April 2011 12:42:10 Tomasz Stanislawski wrote:
>
>> Hans Verkuil wrote:

[snip]

>>> While this is very flexible, I am a bit concerned about the complexity
>>> this would introduce in a driver. I think I would want to see this
>>> actually implemented in a driver first. I suspect that some utility
>>> functions are probably needed.
>>>

> I'm very concerned about that as well. Without hints, computing the OMAP3 ISP > resizer configuration parameters in the driver is already very complex. With > hints it would become even worse, close to impossible. I know that I won't
> have a month to spend on the implementation.

I think we will need a new helper function in V4L2 kernel API in order
to reduce complexity introduced by hints. This function would contain
typical business logic used to adjust cropping rectangle. It would use
structures similar
to struct v4l2_frmsizeenum to specify available ranges of rectangles'
sizes and offsets. The function would
also take hints flags and a rectangle provided by userspace. It would
return an adjusted rectangle.

Moreover, we will need a additional function in form:

u32 v4l2_rect_verify_constraints(struct v4l2_rect *desired, struct
v4l2_rect *proposed);

that checks which constraints are satisfied by 'proposed' rectangle
relative to 'desired' rectangle.
If returned hints have a zero bit that is set in user hints then EINVAL
is returned. Additionally, if
ioctl was called in TRY mode then v4l2_selection::r is substituted with
a rectangle proposed by a driver.

Other solution would be introduction of an ioctl similar to
VIDIOC_ENUM_FRAMESIZES but dedicated for cropping/composing. This way a
business logic could be partially exported to a userspace.

I will try to prepare an RFC about it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Please look below for comments about S_FMT stuff.

>>> Sorry, but I really don't like this idea of a target. It doesn't make
>>> sense to add this when you can only choose a different target for a get.
>>>
>>> I think a EXTCROPCAP/COMPOSECAP pair (or a single CROPCOMPOSECAP ioctl,
>>> see below) makes more sense.
>>>
>> I think that we should avoid adding new ioctl if they are not required.
>> Laurent suggested that it natural solution to use G_EXTCROP to get
>> different kinds of rectangles.
>>

> I totally agree here. We don't have G_FMT_CAPTURE and G_FMT_OUTPUT, we have a > single G_FMT ioctl with a buffer type argument. Let's not create a bunch of
> ioctls just for the fun of it :-)
>
> Using a target would also make the ioctls easier to extend later if we need to
> add new targets.

Thanks for support on the idea :).

>>> I think this could be very interesting. By doing this in a single ioctl
>>> you should have all the information needed to setup a scaler. And with
>>> the hints you can tell the driver how the input/output rectangles need
>>> to be adjusted.
>>>

> You would still need S_FMT to define the size of the captured (output) image
> for capture (output) devices.

Frankly, I think that there is a general flaw in a purpose of S_FMT.
In V4l2, there are following entities and associated ioctl used for
configuration:
analog TV input/output - VIDIOC_S_STD
digital TV input/output - VIDIOC_S_DV_PRESET
audio  input - VIDIOC_S_AUDIO
memory buffer - VIDIOC_S_FMT

Now I ask:
Why S_CROP can change a format in memory buffer (width and size) but it
is not allowed to change DV preset?
Why symmetry is broken between these entities?

In my opinion, a format should stay fixed after successful VIDIOC_S_FMT.
It would mean that width and height of an image must not be changed by
CROP/COMPOSE setup.
For input devices, if an image is too large for desired cropping
rectangle then a buffer's composing rectangle is adjusted. So data from
a sensor are blit on a part of an image. If HW did not support buffer
composing then it would return EINVAL or increase cropping rectangle if
hints allow this.

Using this treat CROP/COMPOSE ioctls could be merged. Driver could
adjust crop/compose rectangle simultaneously  according to its scaling
capabilities. No adjustment of resolution of input data, output data.
Moreover no memory management would be involved because a buffer size
would not change. I think it may greatly simply driver's code.

BTW: I think that sensors need some dedicated ioctl for configuration
similar to ioctls available for other entities (like S_DV_PRESET or more
general S_DV_TIMINGS).
>>> This would make sense as well on the subdev level.
>>>
>>> Laurent, wouldn't this solve the way the omap3 ISP sets up the scaler? By >>> fixing the output of the scaler and setting hints to allow changes to the >>> input crop rectangle we would fix the scaler setup issues we discussed in
>>> Warsaw.
>>>

> On subdevs you would need something even more generic, with the ability to set
> parameters on multiple pads at the same time. For the OMAP3 ISP scaler,
> cropping is done on the input, and we need to set format on the output pads. > There's no compose capability (that's not entirely true, compose could be > implemented by configuring offsets and line length in the DMA engine, but
> that's unrelated).

Additional target rectangles may help here.
>> What about merging EXTCROP and COMPOSE into single ioct, which argument
>>   contains two rectangles.. similar to the one posted here:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/2894
>> 5
>>

> Would that allow new use cases that can't be supported by two separate ioctls
> ?

If a device has very limited scaling abilities that not all combinations
of cropping/composing rectangles could be accepted. A problem with
configuration was described by you in a post:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/27581
The driver could choose the best possible configuration because it has
compose and crop rectangles and is allowed to adjust them according to
hints flags.

What do you think about a following idea?
The cropping/compose configuration would introduce no scaling but only
setting active area assuming no scaling.
Scaling configuration would be done using S_SCALING ioctl.
However, some of pixels in destination buffer may be undefined for a
flawed configuration.
> It would also double the number of hints. I would then create a separate hint
> flags field, as we would already use 24 out of the 32 available flags.

Hmm.. there are already to sets of hints flags, one passed by
VIDIOC_S_EXTCROP and another passed by VIDIOC_S_COMPOSE. Therefore a
merged structure would contains two hints fields.

Waiting for comment.

Best regards,
Tomasz Stanislawski