On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mche...@redhat.com> wrote:
> One possible logic that would solve the scripting would be to use a watchdog
> to monitor ioctl activities. If not used for a while, it could send a s_power
> to put the device to sleep, but this may not solve all our problems.
>
> So, I agree with Devin: we need to add an option to explicitly control the
> power management logic of the device, having 3 modes of operation:
>        POWER_AUTO - use the watchdogs to poweroff
>        POWER_ON - explicitly powers on whatever subdevices are needed in
>                   order to make the V4L ready to stream;
>        POWER_OFF - Put all subdevices to power-off if they support it.
>
> After implementing such logic, and keeping the default as POWER_ON, we may
> announce that the default will change to POWER_AUTO, and give some time for
> userspace apps/scripts that need to use a different mode to change their
> behaviour. That means that, for example, "radio -qf" will need to change to
> POWER_ON mode, and "radio -m" should call POWER_OFF.

I've considered this idea before, and it's not bad in theory.  The one
thing you will definitely have to watch out for is causing a race
between DVB and V4L for hybrid tuners.  In other words, you can have a
user switching from analog to digital and you don't want the tuner to
get powered down a few seconds after they started streaming video from
DVB.

Any such solution would have to take the above into account.  We've
got a history of race conditions like this and I definitely don't want
to see a new one introduced.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs