On 24.08.2011 20:54, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Andreas Oberritter <o...@linuxtv.org> wrote:
>> Instead of wasting your time with theory, you could have easily reviewed
>> my patch. It's really *very* simple any anyone having used semphores or
>> mutexes in the kernel should be able to see that.
>
> There's no need to resort to belittlement.  Both of us have a
> non-trivial number of commits to the Linux kernel.
>
> My concern is that in the kernel a semaphore with a unit of one is
> *not* necessarily the same as a mutex.  In particular you need to take
> into account the calling context since mutexes do more enforcement of
> certain conditions that may have been acceptable for a semaphore.
>
> From http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/mutex-design.txt :
>
> ===
>  - 'struct mutex' semantics are well-defined and are enforced if
>    CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES is turned on. Semaphores on the other hand have
>    virtually no debugging code or instrumentation. The mutex subsystem
>    checks and enforces the following rules:
>
>    * - only one task can hold the mutex at a time
>    * - only the owner can unlock the mutex
>    * - multiple unlocks are not permitted
>    * - recursive locking is not permitted
>    * - a mutex object must be initialized via the API
>    * - a mutex object must not be initialized via memset or copying
>    * - task may not exit with mutex held
>    * - memory areas where held locks reside must not be freed
>    * - held mutexes must not be reinitialized
>    * - mutexes may not be used in hardware or software interrupt
>    *   contexts such as tasklets and timers
> ===
>
> and:
>
> ===
> Disadvantages
> -------------
>
> The stricter mutex API means you cannot use mutexes the same way you
> can use semaphores: e.g. they cannot be used from an interrupt context,
> nor can they be unlocked from a different context that which acquired
> it. [ I'm not aware of any other (e.g. performance) disadvantages from
> using mutexes at the moment, please let me know if you find any. ]
> ===
>
> In short, you cannot just arbitrarily replace one with the other.  You
> need to look at all the possible call paths and ensure that there
> aren't any cases for example where the mutex is set in one but cleared
> in the other.  Did you evaluate your change in the context of each of
> the differences described in the list above?

You're right. There's one place where the semaphore is taken in user
context and released by the frontend thread. I'm going to investigate
whether this complicated locking is required. It might as well be
possible to move the initialization steps from the beginning of the
thread to dvb_frontend_start(), thus rendering this use of the semaphore
unnecessary, and therefore making the code easier to understand and
maintain.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pointers as to why unlocking a mutex
in a different context is not allowed. The only drawback seems to be a
warning (which doesn't show up if there was any previous warning...), if
mutex debugging is enabled. Besides that, I didn't notice any problem
during runtime tests (on mips with SMP enabled).

Regards,
Andreas