On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 22:12:09 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> > > I disagree with this: while this is fine for SoCs, for a generic kernel I
> > > think it is better to build it all. Even expert users can have a hard time
> > > figuring out what chip is in a particular device.
> >
> > Then could someone, please, explain to me, why I don't find this
> > "convenience" in any other kernel driver class? Wireless, ALSA, USB, I2C -
> > you name them. Is there something special about media, that I'm missing,
> > or are all others just user-unfriendly? Why are distro-kernels,
> > allmodconfig, allyesconfig not enough for media and we think it's
> > necessary to build everything "just in case?"
>
> That's actually a good question. I certainly think that the more obscure
> drivers can be disabled by default. But I also think that you want to keep
> a certain subset of commonly used drivers enabled. I'm thinking bttv, uvc,
> perhaps gspca.

Good, this is a good beginning! It was actually the purpose of my patch -
to make us actually consider which drivers we need enabled per default,
and which we don't, instead of just enabling all.

> As far as I can see, alsa enables for example HD Audio, which almost all
> modern hw supports. We should do something similar for v4l.

Yes, agree.

> And we should really reorder some of the entries in the menu: one of the
> first drivers you see are parallel port webcams and other very obscure
> devices.

Ok.

So, how should we proceed? What I certainly would like to disable
completely or to 99% are remote controls and tuners. The rest are actually
disabled by default, which is great. Or at least I would like to have a
single switch "disable all," ideally active by default. One of the
possibilities would be to take the patch as is and _then_ begin to think,
which drivers we want enabled by default. I just think, that the correct
approach is to think, which drivers we need enabled by default - as
exceptions, instead of - which drivers we can afford to disable.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.