On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:15:17AM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2011, 07:58:51 schrieb Antti Palosaari:
> > On 10/05/2011 07:59 AM, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > > Why not just use the usb-serial core and then you get a ttyUSB* device
> > > node "for free"?  It also should provide a lot of the basic tty
> > > infrastructure and ring buffer logic all ready to use.
> >
> > Since I don't see how I can access same platform data from DVB USB  and
> > USB-serial driver (usb_set_intfdata). I asked that earlier, see:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg36027.html
>
> Yes, and I'll have to give you the same answer as then.
>
> But, Greg, Antti makes a very valid point here. The generic code assumes that
> it owns intfdata, that is you cannot use it as is for access to anything that
> lacks
> its own interface. But this is not a fatal flaw. We can alter the generic
> code to use
> an accessor function the driver can provide and make it default to
> get/set_intfdata
>
> What do you think?

I totally forgot about that previous answer, I write too much email :)

Anyway, yes, if we can alter the core to make this work for this type of
device, that is probably much easier than having to write a whole tty
driver just for this one type of device.  I'll gladly take such a patch.

thanks,

greg k-h