I have been following that discussion and hoping you would finally find out the reason.

But I want to point out few things;
* .set_frontend() is called only when channel changed
* .set_params() is called only when channel changed
* there is no I2C traffic for tuner after channel changed
* there is I2C traffic to tuner only when channel is changed

Since generally changes to .set_frontend() will not have effect in normal use, when both devices are already streaming. Only in case of lock is missed and re-tune initialized or channel changed.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/