For days, I've been chasing ghosts :-)  I know they are still there,
but I think they are more a function of the source than the ISP setup.
So, I went looking for a better source, NTSC in my case.  My choice is
is a DVD player with known good video (I'm convinced that my cheap NTSC
camera produces crap, especially when there is a lot of motion in the
frames).  Looking at this on an analogue TV (yes, they still exist!),
the picture is not bad, so I think it's a good choice, at least when
trying to understand what's happening with the OMAP3 ISP.

Look at these two pictures:
  http://www.mlbassoc.com/misc/nemo-00001.png
  http://www.mlbassoc.com/misc/nemo-swapped-00001.png

These represent one frame of data captured via my OMAP3 ISP + TVP5150
from a DVD (sorry, Disney).  The first is a raw conversion of the
frame using ffmpeg.  As you can see, there seem to be lines swapped,
so I wrote a little program to swap the lines even/odd.  The second
(nemo-swapped) shows what this looks like.  Obviously, the data is
not being stored in memory correctly.  Does anyone know how to adjust
the ISP to make this work the right way around?  Currently in ispccdc.c, we
have:
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, EVENEVEN, 1);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, EVENODD, 1);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, ODDEVEN, 1);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, ODDODD, 1);

I tried this:
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, EVENEVEN, 2);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, EVENODD, 0);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, ODDEVEN, 2);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, ODDODD, 0);
but this lead to a kernel panic :-(

Somehow, we need to be storing the data something like this:
   EE EE EE EE ...
   EO EO EO EO ...
   OE OE OE OE ...
   OO OO OO OO ...
but the current layout is               ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc,
pix.bytesperline, EVENEVEN, 1);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, EVENODD, 1);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, ODDEVEN, 1);
                ccdc_config_outlineoffset(ccdc, pix.bytesperline, ODDODD, 1);

   EO EO EO EO ...
   EE EE EE EE ...
   OO OO OO OO ...
   OE OE OE OE ...

First, I need to get the data into memory in the correct order :-)

Note: these results are consistent, i.e. if I stop things and do another
grab, they are incorrect in the same [wrong] order.

Note 2: I think I have explanations for much of the ghosting that has been
observed:
  * Frame to frame "tearing" results from the fact that the frames are
interlaced
    and the actual data changes from one half of the frame to the other.  This
would
    not be observed with traditional media, e.g. film, where nothing can move
from
    one frame to the next because of the speed of shutters.   In the purely
digital
    capture case, every pixel has the opportunity to change constantly and to
find
    some that change with the 33ms (NTSC) window (1 frame) is quite probable.
    You can see some of this in the [otherwise quite good] sequence of images
      http://www.mlbassoc.com/misc/nemo-swapped-00001.png
      http://www.mlbassoc.com/misc/nemo-swapped-00062.png
  * Frames being skipped &/or very stale data being reused - I think this is a
[user]
    software problem.  The ISP driver assumes that it always has an empty
buffer to
    move captured data into.  Depending on the [user] program which is
consuming the
    data, this may or not be true.  In the case of ffmpeg, if I capture raw
images,
    ffmpeg can almost always keep up and there is always a free buffer.
However, if
    I have ffmpeg turn the raw frames into compressed video (mp4), nearly 1/2 of
    the time, the ISP will run dry on buffers.  I think I know how to fix this
(untested)
    but it shows that some of the issues may be with the userland code we rely
on.
    I've not done any recent tests with the gstreamer modules and the TI DSP
code,
    but I will shortly.  We'll see how well that does.

Note 3: The image viewer found at http://djv.sourceforge.net/ works great for
these
    analyses.  Just run 'djv_view' and point at the first image in a sequence
:-)
    n.b. I'm not associated with that project, but I really like it!