On 10/17/2011 05:23 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:

>>> Sorry, I still don't understand, how the bridge driver knows better, than
>>> the subdev driver, whether the user will resume streaming in 500ms or in
>>> 20s? Maybe there's some such information available with tuners, which I'm
>>> just unaware about?
>>
>> What I meant was that if the bridge driver assumes in advance that enabling
>> sensor's power and getting it fully operational takes long time, it can
>> enable
>> sensor's power earlier than it's really necessary, to avoid excessive
>> latencies
>> during further actions.
>
> Where would a bridge driver get this information from? And how would it
> know in advance, when power would be "really needed" to enable it
> "earlier?"...

I don't think this information could now be retrieved from a subdev in standard
way.

If a bridge driver wants low latencies it can simply be coded to issue
s_power(1)
before any other op call, and s_power(0) when it's done with a subdev.

>> The bridge driver could also choose to keep the sensor powered on, whenever
>> it
>> sees appropriate, to avoid re-enabling the sensor to often.
>
> On what basis would the bridge driver make these decisions? How would it
> know in advance, when it'll have to re-enable the subdev next time?

Re-enabling by allowing a subdev driver to entirely control the power state.
The sensor might implement "lowest power consumption" policy, while the user
might want "highest performance".
I'm referring only to camera sensor subdevs, as I don't have much experience
with other ones.

Also there are some devices where you want to model power control explicitly,
and it is critical to overall system operation. The s5p-tv driver is one example
of these. The host driver knows exactly how the power state of its subdevs
should be handled.
The situation with single subdev and a bridge driver may look like it could get
away without s_power(), but where multiple subdevs are involved I expect the
driver writers will want to be able to control the power state.

It seems s_power() is now used not only in suspend/resume paths so removing it
for
new core.suspend/resume callbacks IMHO would leave some functionality not
covered.