On 11/13/2011 03:53 AM, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 11/12/2011 06:59 PM, Antti Palosaari wrote:
I fixed that I2C failing, simply blocking problematic demod callbacks
that only other demod can access at once. Basically problem is that
AF9015 FW don't like to get interrupted for I2C access in certain cases.
http://git.linuxtv.org/anttip/media_tree.git/shortlog/refs/heads/af9015

I haven't looked stream corruptions and I will not even look, since
those not happening much my hw. I think your fix is based the fact you
forced PID-filter always on. Could you remove all the other changes you
did and force it using dvb-usb orce_pid_filter_usage param to see if
thats really the only only problem? And also testing using max packet
sizes could be interesting to see.

I think I have now found the problem. It seems happen when you watch FE0 and then do some tuning using other FE1. If you just watch both FEs same time it works rather nicely. That's why I haven't seen that earlier. Very good way to corruptions is to stream FE0 and then start tuning in loop through some channels, especially there is channels having no signal at all.

I just tested you patch series and result was bad. A lot of corruptions. I was using dual device having MXL5007T tuner.

As I found out how to reproduce errors I did some small test and find out problem seem to be I2C traffic from 2nd tuner and demod. When you do some tuning for 2nd FE there is a lot I2C traffic all the time, which I think overloads AF9015 and couses stream corruption. Disabling all statistics and returning all the time HAS_LOCK for fe0 and NO LOCK for FE without any I2C traffic seems to help a lot.

So what's the source of problematic I2C traffic
1) demod status/statistic reading (that have been always optimized by limiting queries using jiffies)
2) set_frontend()
3) set_params()

I have MXL5007T and MXL5005S. If you look sniffs from windows those tuner drivers are optimized I2C traffic something like "one go". Linux drivers generate huge amount of register access because they don't support writing multiple regs as one go. This leads very bad performance as a I2C I/O combined to fact I2C-gate open/close is bit field - changing one bit takes 2 USB messages. So every single tuner register change generates 2xmsg for gate open, 1xmsg for tuner reg write, 2xmsg for gate close = 5 messages, where is 4 msg wasted for only I2C gate. After all, it may generate something ~10-50 times more I/O than Windows driver.

* I think it is maybe good idea to implement multireg access like Windows to these tuner drivers first.
* cache gate-control register value inside driver
* program only demod register needed. eg. BW is not changed no need to program those registers. same for IF frequency. see cxd2820r I did that * reduce satistics polling. maybe start timer that polls statistics once per 2 sec or so and return those from cache

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/