Em 25-11-2011 13:22, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> [...]
>> API removal will happen in about 18 months from now (assuming about 2 months
>> per kernel
>> version).

>>> I don't want to be forced to use the V4L2 API for no reason and no gain.
>>
>> As already explained on the other email, there are gains on using it, like
>> the support
>> for other types of encoding, the pipeline setup, sub-device control, shared
>> buffer interface
>> with GPU, proper support for SoC, etc.
>>
>> Also, currently, just one device uses it (av7110). I don't think that the
>> chipset is
>> still manufactured. At least Google didn't help finding anything:
>>      http://www.google.com/search?q=av7110&tbm=shop&hl=en
>>
>> On the other hand, there are thousands of devices using V4L2 API.
>>
>> As both API's provide support for decoded video, one API has to be
>> deprecated in favor
>> to the other. We should select for deprecation the one that is more
>> restrictive
>> and that has just one driver using it.

>>> Once again: Manu is going to submit a new driver soon.
>>
>> The API is there for several years (since 2002?), with just one driver
>> supporting it.
>> It shouldn't be hard to convert Manu's work to the V4L2. I can help him on
>> converting
>> his driver to use the V4L2 API if needed.
>>
>>> You're trying to remove an API that you've never used. The people who
>>> use the API want it to stay.
>>
>> As I said, it will stay there. Nobody will remove av7110 or remove the old
>> API from it.
>>
>> The idea is that no new driver should use it, as it is a legacy
>> one-driver-only API.
>>
>> If your complain is about the removal of audio.h, video.h and osd.h, then my
>> proposal is
>> to keep it there, writing a text that they are part of a deprecated API, but
>> keeping
>> the rest of the patches and not accepting anymore any submission using them,
>> removing
>> the ioctl's that aren't used by av7110 from them.
>
> I have no problem with that. Something along those lines was my initial idea
> anyway,
> but I forgot about it.
>
> I've taken a quick look at Manu's driver: it uses very few ioctls from
> audio.h and
> video.h and it seems that that driver uses the video device as a classic
> video output
> device able to handle compressed video (I presume an elementary video stream).
>
> Using V4L for the video part is easy. But where it becomes a bit more
> complicated is
> with the audio device. I assume again that it receives a compressed audio
> stream
> (is that correct?), and alsa doesn't handle that yet. I believe Samsung ran
> into the
> same issue. For raw audio an alsa output is the logical choice, but for

Sure that alsa doesn't handle compressed audio? a quick grep for MPEG under
drivers/sound
shows several things related to MPEG audio support:

$ git grep -i mpeg sound|wc -l
92

$ git grep -i mpeg sound

sound/core/pcm.c: FORMAT(MPEG),
sound/core/pcm.c: case AFMT_MPEG:
sound/core/pcm.c:         return "MPEG";
sound/core/pcm_misc.c:    [SNDRV_PCM_FORMAT_MPEG] = {
sound/drivers/vx/vx_cmd.h:#define MASK_VALID_PIPE_MPEG_PARAM      0x000040
sound/drivers/vx/vx_cmd.h:#define MASK_SET_PIPE_MPEG_PARAM        0x000002
sound/drivers/vx/vx_cmd.h:#define P_PREPARE_FOR_MPEG3_MASK
          0x02
sound/drivers/vx/vx_core.c:       if (chip->audio_info & VX_AUDIO_INFO_MPEG1)
sound/drivers/vx/vx_core.c:               snd_iprintf(buffer, " mpeg1");
sound/drivers/vx/vx_core.c:       if (chip->audio_info & VX_AUDIO_INFO_MPEG2)
sound/drivers/vx/vx_core.c:               snd_iprintf(buffer, " mpeg2");

So, I think that alsa accepts compressed audio.