On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 05:04 -0800, Reuben Stokes wrote:
> On Friday 30 December 2011 02:01:35 you wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 15:13 -0800, Reuben Stokes wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Not nearly as linux-savvy as most of the users here, but I attempted to
> > > operate a "Raygo USB Video Recorder" (audio/video capture device). Don't
> > > know if my efforts qualify as a "test".
> > >

> > > Model Number:
> > > R12-41373
> > >
> > > Display name:
> > > USB 2861 Device
> > >
> > > lsusb:
> > > Bus 001 Device 002: ID eb1a:5051 eMPIA Technology, Inc.
> > >
> > > dmesg:
> > > [ 7182.076058] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> > > address 3
> > > [ 7182.212702] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=eb1a,
> > > idProduct=5051
> > > [ 7182.212714] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1,
> > > SerialNumber=2
> > > [ 7182.212723] usb 1-1: Product: USB 2861 Device
> > > [ 7182.212729] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 0
> > >
> > > System:
> > > HP Pavilion dv6910 laptop
> > > AMD Turion X2 CPU (64 bit)
> > > Mepis 11; 64 bit( based on Debian Squeeze)
> > >

> > > Tried
> > > -------
> > > * Installed em28xx drivers using instructions found at linuxtv.org.
> > >   I note however that this particular vendor/product ID is not validated
> > > in the em28xx devices list.
> > > * As new drivers do not automatically load, I use command: modprobe em28xx
> > >    After this "modprobe -l | grep em28xx" yields
> > >         kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-alsa.ko
> > >         kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx.ko
> > >         kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-dvb.ko
> > > * Device comes with a driver CD for Windows which does work in Windows.
> > >
> > > End result is the device is not recognized as a capture device option in
> > > any software tried including vlc, cheese, guvcview, kdenlive.
> > >
> > > Any help getting this to work in Linux would be appreciated as it
> > > completely sucks in my bloated, memory-hogging, 32-bit Windows Vista.
> > >
> > > Reuben <okonomiyaki...@gohighspeed.com>
> > > --
> >
> > Reuben,
> >
> > If you're willing, then open up the device and see what the chips within
> > are.  You believe it's em28xx based, but there may well be additional
> > devices in there for audio and video.
> >
> > Once you've found out what's inside it will be easier to get it working.
> > It may be as simple as getting the driver to recognise the USB Vendor ID
> > or it may require much more work.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gareth
> >
> > --
> >

> Thank you very much for the response.
>
> Okay, opening it was easier than first suspected.
>
> The main (biggest) chip reads with nice big letters and a logo:
> eMPIA
> EM2860
> P86J3-011
> 201047-01AG
>
> Less useful information inlcudes:

> [...]
Reuben,

Was there another chip on there?  The EMP202 is an audio chip that can
covert analogue audio to digital PCM (and vice versa).  The EM2860 sends
this digital audio along with digital video over USB.  For this to work
though, the device will need to convert analogue video to digital and
will need another chip to do this.  An example would be a SAA7113 from
Philips. Have another look and post back here.

The two chips you've identified are commonly used in for this type of
device and should be easily configurable in the em28xx driver.  We just
need the video chip now! And a tail wind...

Regards,

Gareth