-----Original Message-----
From: Guennadi Liakhovetski [mailto:g.liakhovet...@gmx.de]
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:58 PM
To: Alex Gershgorin
Cc: linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: RE: i.mx35 live video

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, Alex Gershgorin wrote:

> > Thanks Guennadi for your quick response ,
> >
> > >Hi Alex
> >
> > > Hi Guennadi,
> > >
> > > We would like to use I.MX35 processor in new project.
> > > An important element of the project is to obtain life video from the
> > > camera and display it on display.
> > > For these purposes, we want to use mainline Linux kernel which supports
> > > all the necessary drivers for the implementation of this task.
> > > As I understand that soc_camera is not currently supported userptr
> > > method, in which case how I can configure the video pipeline in user space
> > > to get the live video on display, without the intervention of the
> > > processor.
> >
> > >soc-camera does support USERPTR, also the mx3_camera driver claims to
> > >support it.
> >
> > I based on soc-camera.txt document.
>
> > Yeah, I really have to update it...
>
> > The soc-camera subsystem provides a unified API between camera host drivers
> > and
> > camera sensor drivers. It implements a V4L2 interface to the user, currently
> > only the mmap method is supported.
> >
> > In any case, I glad that this supported :-)
> >
> > What do you think it is possible to implement video streaming without
> > the intervention of the processor?
>
> >It might be difficult to completely eliminate the CPU, at the very least
> >you need to queue and dequeue buffers to and from the V4L driver. To avoid
> >even that, in principle, you could try to use only one buffer, but I don't
> >think the current version of the mx3_camera driver would be very happy
> >about that. You could take 2 buffers and use panning, then you'd just have
> >to send queue and dequeue buffers and pan the display. But in any case,
> >you probably will have to process buffers, but your most important
> >advantage is, that you won't have to copy data, you only have to move
> >pointers around.
>
> The method that you describe is exactly what I had in mind.
> It would be more correct to say it is "minimum" CPU intervention and not
> without CPU intervention.

> As far I understand, I can implement MMAP method for frame buffer device
> and pass this pointer directly to mx3_camera driver with use USERPTR
> method, then send queue and dequeue buffers to mx3_camera driver.
> What is not clear, if it is possible to pass the same pointer of frame
> buffer in mx3_camera, if the driver is using two buffers?

<Sorry, I really don't know for sure. It should work, but I don't think I
<tested thid myself nor I remember anybody reporting having tested this
<mode. So, you can either try to search mailing list archives, or just test
<it. Begin with a simpler mode - USERPTR with separately allocated buffers
<and copying them manually to the framebuffer, then try to switch to just
<one buffer in this same mode, then switch to direct framebuffer memory.

Thanks Gennady this a good road map, in the near future I will be testing it
and will get back to you.

Regards,
Alex Gershgorin