I did some more planning and made alternative RFC.
As the earlier alternative was more like changing old functionality that new one goes much more deeper.

As a basic rule I designed it to reduce stuff from the current struct dvb_usb_device_properties. Currently there is many nested structs introducing same callbacks. For that one I dropped all frontend and adapter level callbacks to device level. Currently struct contains 2 adapters and 3 frontends - which means we have 2 * 3 = 6 "similar" callbacks and only 1 is used. It wastes some space since devices having more than one adapter or frontend are rather rare. Making callback selection inside individual driver is very trivial even without a designated callback. Here is common example from the use of .frontend_attach() callback in case of only one callback used:
static int frontend_attach(struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap)
{
  if (adap->id == 0)
    return frontend_attach_1();
  else
    return frontend_attach_2();
}

Functionality enhancement mentioned earlier RFC are valid too:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg46352.html

As I was a little bit lazy I wrote only quick skeleton code to represent new simplified "struct dvb_usb_device_properties":

struct dvb_usb_device_properties = {
/* download_firmware() success return values to signal what happens next */
  #define RECONNECTS_USB                  (1 << 0)
  #define RECONNECTS_USB_USING_NEW_ID     (1 << 1)

 .size_of_priv = sizeof(struct 'state'),

  /* firmware download */
  .identify_state(struct dvb_usb_device *d, int *cold),
  .get_firmware_name(struct dvb_usb_device *d, char *firmware_name),
  .download_firmware(struct dvb_usb_device *d, const struct firmware *fw),
  .allow_dynamic_id = true,

  .power_ctrl(struct dvb_usb_device *d, int onoff),
  .read_config(struct dvb_usb_device *d, u8 mac[6]),
  .get_adapter_count(struct dvb_usb_device *d, int *count),

  .frontend_attach(struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap),
  .tuner_attach(struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap),

  .init(struct dvb_usb_device *d),

  .get_rc(struct dvb_rc *),
  .i2c_algo = (struct i2c_algorithm),

  .frontend_ctrl(struct dvb_frontend *fe, int onoff),
  .get_stream_props(struct usb_data_stream_properties *),
  .streaming_ctrl(struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap, int onoff),

  .generic_bulk_ctrl_endpoint = (int),
  .generic_bulk_ctrl_endpoint_response = (int),

  .devices = (struct dvb_usb_device)[],
};

struct dvb_usb_device dvb_usb_devices {
  char *name = "name",
  .rc_map = RC_MAP_EMPTY,
  .device_id = (struct usb_device_id),
}

It is likely Wednesday I am going to start implementing that one unless some big issues are raised. Making simple test code as a proof-of-concept should not be very many days of work.

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/