On 22.05.2012 19:26, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
Le samedi 19 mai 2012 21:36:23 Antti Palosaari, vous avez écrit :
On 19.05.2012 21:20, Hans de Goede wrote:
Currently the V4L2 API does not allow for radio devices with more then 1
tuner,
which is a bit of a historical oversight, since many radio devices have 2
tuners/demodulators 1 for FM and one for AM. Trying to model this as 1
tuner
really does not work well, as they have 2 completely separate frequency
bands
they handle, as well as different properties (the FM part usually is
stereo capable, the AM part is not).

It is important to realize here that usually the AM/FM tuners are part
of 1 chip, and often have only 1 frequency register which is used in
both AM/FM modes. IOW it more or less is one tuner, but with 2 modes,
and from a V4L2 API pov these modes are best modeled as 2 tuners.
This is at least true for the radio-cadet card and the tea575x,
which are the only 2 AM capable radio devices we currently know about.

For DVB API we changed just opposite direction - from multi-frontend to
single-frontend. I think one device per one standard is good choice.

If I understand Hans correctly, he suggests to use two tuners on a *single*
radio device node, much like a single video device nodes can have multiple
video inputs. So I think you agree with Hans, and so do I.

OK, then I was misunderstanding it. Unfortunately I have no enough V4L2 API experience to comment that :i

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/