On 07/30/2012 12:21 AM, poma wrote:
On 07/20/2012 03:43 AM, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 07/13/2012 12:07 AM, Steven Toth wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Steven Toth <st...@kernellabs.com>
wrote:
Nobody understands the relationship between the bridge and the
sub-component as well as the bridge driver. The current interfaces are
limiting in many ways. We solve that today with rather ugly 'attach'
structures that are inflexible, for example to set gpios to a default
state.
Then, once that interface is attached, the bridge effectively loses
most of
the control to the tuner and/or demod. The result is a large disconnect
between the bridge and subcomponents.

Why limit any interface extension to GPIOs? Why not make something a
little more flexible so we can pass custom messages around?

What did you ever decide about the enable/disable of the LNA? And, how
would the bridge do that in your proposed solution? Via the proposed
GPIO
interface?

GPIO / LNA is ready, see following patches:
add LNA support for DVB API
cxd2820r: use Kernel GPIO for GPIO access
em28xx: implement FE set_lna() callback

from:
http://git.linuxtv.org/anttip/media_tree.git/shortlog/refs/heads/dvb_core

Kernel GPIOs were quite easy to implement and use - when needed
knowledge was gathered after all the testing and study. I wonder why
none was done that earlier for DVB...

It also offer nice debug/devel feature as you can mount those GPIOs via
sysfs and use directly.

Above mentioned GPIO functionality must be implemented in driver itself
to use /sys/class/gpio/… sysfs interface, right?
It is not enough to build kernel with CONFIG_GENERIC_GPIO=y,
CONFIG_GPIOLIB=y, CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS, right?

You will need to implement callbacks for gpiolib. sysfs interface is then get for free.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/