Hi!

On 08/13/2012 03:13 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> 2) If a driver supports only formats with more than one plane, should
>> V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE still be defined?
>
> No

Agreed.

>> And if a driver also supports
>> single-plane formats in addition to >1 plane formats, should
>> V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE be compulsary?
>
> Yes, so that non multi-plane aware apps keep working.

There is the multi-planar API and there are multi-planar formats. Single-
and multi-planar formats can be handled with the multi-planar API. So if
a driver supports single- and multi-planar formats by means on multi-planar
APIs, there shouldn't be a need for signalling V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE,
which normally indicates single-planar API. The driver may choose to not
support it, in order to handle single-planar formats. Thus, in my opinion
making V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE compulsory wouldn't make sense. Unless the
driver supports both types of ioctls (_mplane and regular versions), we
shouldn't flag V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE.

Regards,
Sylwester