On Sunday 16 September 2012 15:57:14 Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > > I realized that this should be called:
> > >
> > > V4L2_BUF_FLAG_CLOCK_UNKNOWN       0x0000
> > >
> > > With a comment saying that is clock is either the system clock or a
> > > monotonic clock. That reflects the current situation correctly.

> > There is already lots of overhead related to the buffers management, could
> > we perhaps have the most common option defined in a way that drivers don't
> > need to update each buffer's flags before dequeuing, only to indicate the
> > timestamp type (other than flags being modified in videobuf) ?
>
> Well, if all vb2 drivers use the monotonic clock, then you could do it in
> __fill_v4l2_buffer: instead of clearing just the state flags you'd clear
> state + clock flags, and you OR in the monotonic flag in the case statement
> below (adding just a single b->flags |= line in the DEQUEUED case).
>
> So that wouldn't add any overhead. Not that I think setting a flag will add
> any measurable overhead in any case.
>
> > This buffer flags idea sounds to me worse than the capability flag. After
> > all the drivers should use monotonic clock timestamps, shouldn't they ?
>
> Yes. But you have monotonic and raw monotonic clocks at the moment, and
> perhaps others will be added in the future. You can't change clocks if you
> put this in the querycap capabilities.
>
> > Have anyone has ever come with a use case for switching timestamps clock
> > type, can anyone give an example of it ? How likely is we will ever need
> > that ?
>
> Well, ALSA allows you to switch between gettimeofday and monotonic. So in
> theory at least if an app selects gettimeofday for alsa, that app might also
> want to select gettimeofday for v4l2.
>
> I'd really like to keep this door open. My experience is that if something
> is possible, then someone somewhere will want to use it.

As far as system timestamps are concerned I think the monotonic clock should
be enough, at least for now. Raw monotonic could possibly be useful later.

Another important use case I have in mind is to provide raw device timestamps.
For instance UVC devices send a device clock timestamp along with video
frames. That timestamp can be useful to userspace applications.

Laurent Pinchart