On 10/02/2012 06:17 AM, Michael Krufky wrote:
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmuel...@kernellabs.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Antti Palosaari <cr...@iki.fi> wrote:
New drxk firmware download does not work with tda18271. Actual
reason is more drxk driver than tda18271. Anyhow, tda18271c2dd
will work as it does not do as much I/O during attach than tda18271.

Root of cause is tuner I/O during drx-k asynchronous firmware
download. request_firmware_nowait()... :-/

This seems like it's just changing the timing of the initialization
process, which isn't really any better than the "msleep(2000)".  It's
just dumb luck that it happens to work on the developer's system.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Michael that this whole situation is
ridiculous, but I don't see why swapping out the entire driver is a
reasonable fix.

I just send out a patch entitled, "tda18271: prevent register access
during attach() if delay_cal is set"   Antti, could you set
tda18271_config.delay_cal = 1 with this patch applied and see if it
solves your problem?

Again, although this may solve the problem for this particular device,
the *real* problem is this asynchronous firmware download in the demod
driver.

Nonetheless, Antti has been asking for this feature, to not allow
register access during attach, I was against it and I have my reasons,
but I believe that this patch is a fair compromise.

After somebody can test it, I think we should merge this -- any comments?

http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/14799/

I tested. It does not help. I also looked it more and it really bails out with error much earlier, in function where it reads chip ID. That makes me look the tda18271c2dd driver. I found that for some reason these drivers uses different method for register read. tda18271 uses I2C transaction with 2 messages, write and read with REPEATED START condition. tda18271c2dd driver is just simple I2C read. So which one is correct?

Also other note. tda18271c2dd does not have almost any error logging. Only error log is failed I2C write. So it could be even possible tda18271c2dd fails too, but as it keeps silence and discards all the error I don't see it and it even works :S

And 3rd issue. It crashes. Very often. I didn't take picture anymore as I have taken earlier. I am so f***ing pissed off all the long time problems with that em28xx driver! It has crashed more than any other driver I have ever seen. It is really, really, problematic. The amount of time what I have loosen em28xx driver problems when hacking with relatively small amount of devices is huge. It is surely more time that it will take me to write whole driver from the scratch using DVB USB. As I cannot trust em28xx correctness it is very hard to debug these crashes. That one seems to come from drxk, but is it really?

http://palosaari.fi/linux/v4l-dvb/em28xx_drxk_crash/

regards
Antti

--