Em Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:15:31 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> On Mon 10 December 2012 14:07:09 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As discussed in Barcelona I would write a text describing requirements for
> > new
> > drivers and what to expect when submitting patches to linux-media.
> >
> > This is a first rough draft and nothing is fixed yet.
> >
> > I have a few open questions:
> >
> > 1) Where to put it? One thing I would propose that we improve is to move the
> > dvb and video4linux directories in Documentation/ to Documentation/media to
> > correctly reflect the drivers/media structure. If we do that, then we can
> > put
> > this document in Documentation/media/SubmittingMediaPatches.
> >
> > Alternatively, this is something we can document in our wiki.
> >
> > 2) Are there DVB requirements as well for new drivers? We discussed a list
> > of
> > V4L2 requirements in Barcelona, but I wonder if there is a similar list that
> > can be made for DVB drivers. Input on that will be welcome.
> >
> > 3) This document describes the situation we will have when the
> > submaintainers
> > take their place early next year. So please check if I got that part right.
> >
> > 4) In Barcelona we discussed 'tags' for patches to help organize them. I've
> > made a proposal for those in this document. Feedback is very welcome.
> >
> > 5) As discussed in Barcelona there will be git tree maintainers for specific
> > platforms, but we didn't really go into detail who would be responsible for
> > which platform. If you want to maintain a particular platform, then please
> > let me know.
> >
> > 6) The patchwork section is very short at the moment. It should be extended
> > when patchwork gets support to recognize the various tags.
> >
> > 7) Anything else that should be discussed here?
>
> How to submit patches for a stable kernel.
>
> I can never remember, and I'm sure I'm not the only one :-)

The standard way is to add this tag:

        Cc: sta...@vger.kernel.org

eventually with a comment saying to what versions it should be applied, like:

        Cc: sta...@vger.kernel.org      # for v3.5 and upper

If it is noticed later the need for it on stable, or a backport is needed,
the patch author should send the patch to sta...@vger.kernel.org, c/c the ML,
preferably pointing to the upstream commit ID. The patch has to be merged
upstream before being merged at stable.

--

Cheers,
Mauro