Em Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:47:50 -0500
Devin Heitmueller <dheitmuel...@kernellabs.com> escreveu:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mche...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Lets say SS, SNR, BER, UCB are queried, but only SS and SNR are ready to
> >> be returned, whilst rest are not possible? As I remember DVBv5 API is
> >> broken by design and cannot return error code per request.
> >
> > The one(s) not available will have "FE_SCALE_NOT_AVAILABLE" as scale,
> > and its value is undefined.
>
> We may wish to rethink this approach - it lacks the ability to specify
> why the data isn't available.  It would probably be very useful for
> userland to know the difference between a statistic not being
> available because the hardware doesn't ever provide that data (in
> which case a GUI might do something like not show the option),

As already explained:
len = 0 in this case.

> versus
> it not being available temporarily due to a lack of signal lock (in
> which as a GUI might show the option but indicate that the data is not
> currently available).

FE_SCALE_NOT_AVAILABLE

> Likewise I would want to know that data isn't
> being shown due to some error condition versus it not being supported
> by the hardware or the data being temporarily unavailable due to a
> lack of signal lock.

I'm not sure if we have enough bits for a per-layer error error code,
but there is space for a per-stats error code. We can even extend it
to the entire DVBv5 API, as there are some reserved space there.

Yet, IMHO, this is overkill: userspace just needs to know if a given
stats property is not supported by a driver or not available.

> See, I've been thinking about it for two minutes, and already found
> three perfectly reasonable error conditions userland would probably
> want to differentiate between.  Do we really think it's wise to make
> this field the equivalent of a bool?
>
> It might make sense to add something equivalent to errno for a per-stat basis.

I don't object to add it, but IMHO it is overkill for stats.

Regards,
Mauro