On Sunday 11 August 2013 11:26:18 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/11/2013 12:10 AM, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> > Hello,
> > this is a new gspca driver for Syntek STK1135 webcams. The code is
> > completely new, but register values are based on Syntekdriver (stk11xx)
> > by Nicolas VIVIEN (http://syntekdriver.sourceforge.net).
> >
> > Only one webcam type is supported now - vendor 0x174f, device 0x6a31.
> > It's Asus F5RL laptop flippable webcam with MT9M112.
> >
> > The camera works better than in Windows - initializes much faster and
> > provides more resolutions
>
> You've certainly done this quickly, many thanks for working on this!
>
> Looks good. Any reason why this is RFC, iow any reason why I should not add
> this to my tree and include it in my next pullreq to Mauro ?
>
> > Autoflip works too - when the camera is flipped around, the image is
> > flipped automatically.
>
> Cool, but I've some comments on the implementation:
>
> 1) It seems autoflip and manual flip with controls conflict, the manual
> setting will be overwritten as soon as the switch is debounced.
> I think it would be best to make the manual setting invert (when on) the
> setting detected from the switch

Yes, that's a problem. Too bad that there's no "autorotate" control in V4L2.
Inverting seems like a good idea.

> 2) You make the switch control both hflip and vflip, but the way the
> flipping works the sensor is not turned upside down, but rotated over its
> x-axis, so you should only set vflip based on the switch if I'm not
> mistaken. To verify this take a piece of paper, and write on it with large
> letters "HELLO" then hold it in front of the camera. It should read
> normally on the screen. I believe that in one of the 2 orientations of the
> camera it will be mirrored now since you set hflip while it should not be
> set

I thought that too at first - and changed only vflip. Then noticed that the
image is mirrored when the camera is flipped to the back.

When the sensor is rotated over its x-axis, the "left" side of the sensor will
be on the right side (when you look from the back of the laptop).

> 3) Once debounced is over 100, you re-set hflip and vflip every frame, this
> causes expensive USB IO, so please cache the current setting and only
> change it if it actually needs to change

When debounce gets over 100, flip_status is inverted (so it matches the
current state reported by camera). Thus, debounce is not incremented in
sd_pkt_scan but reset to 0 instead.
Maybe the code could be re-arranged somehow to make this more clear.

> If you can do a new version with these 3 things fixed I'll happily pull it
> into my tree!

Working on it now.

--
Ondrej Zary