On 09/06/2013 12:33 AM, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> [...]
>> On 08/07/2013 06:49 PM, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,

>>> Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, I just wrote this a bit
>>> longish changelog to possibly get some feedback and to better understand
>>> what is exactly going on. Currently the v4l2-core looks like a racing
>>> disaster to me.

>>> OK, I think I just myself used this video_is_registered() flag for some
>>> more stuff, by surrounding it with mutex_lock/mutex_unlock and putting
>>> more stuff in between, like media_entity_cleanup().
>>
>> You can't do that, because there are most likely still filehandles open
>> or even ioctls being executed. Cleanup happens in the release function(s)
>> when the kref goes to 0.
>
> Yeah, a bit late, but I'm finally well aware of that.
>
>>> And this probably led
>>> me astray for a while, thinking that video_is_registered() was intended
>>> to be used synchronously.
>>> For example see fimc_lite_subdev_unregistered() in drivers/media/platform/
>>> exynos4-is/fimc-lite.c.
>>>
>>> But as you said video_is_registered() is fully asynchronous.
>>>
>>> Actually I'm trying to fix a nasty race between deferred driver probing
>>> and video device open(). The problem is that video open() callback can
>>> be called after driver remove() callback was invoked.
>>
>> How is that possible? The video_device_register must be the last thing in
>> the probe function. If it succeeds, then the probe must succeed as well.
>>
>> Note that I now realize that this might fail in the case of multiple device
>> nodes being registered. We never had problems with that in the past, but in
>> theory you can the race condition you mention in that scenario. The correct
>> approach here would probably be to always return 0 in probe() if only some
>> of the video_device_register calls fail.
>>
>> Anyway, assuming that only one device node is created, then I can't see how
>> you can get a race condition here. Any open() call will increase the module's
>> refcount, making it impossible to unload.
>
> The main issue is that in the exynos4-is driver there are multiple platform
> devices (these represent IP blocks that are scattered across various Exynos
> SoC revisions). Drivers of this platform devices create subdevs and video
> nodes are registered in subdev's .registered() callback. This allows the
> drivers to be more modular and self contained. But also during video device
> registration proper struct v4l2_device (and through this struct
> media_device)
> can be passed so the video nodes are attached to the common media driver.
>
> In probe() of the media driver all subdevs are registered and this triggers
> video nodes creation. The media device first registers all platform devices.
> Subdevs are created and all video nodes. After that are being registered
> sensor subdevs and media links are created. Then all subdev devnodes are
> created in a single call. Note this single call is a bit contrary to the

It wouldn't be difficult to add a v4l2_device_register_subdev_node() function.
The v4l2_device_register_subdev_nodes() function predates v4l2-sync, so if
it needs some tweaking to make it behave better with v4l2-sync, then that's
no problem.

> So there is lots of things that may fail after first video node is
> registered,
> and on which open() may be called immediately.

The only solution I know off-hand to handle this safely is to unregister all
nodes if some fail, but to return 0 in the probe function. If an open()
succeeded,
then that will just work until the node is closed, at which point the
v4l2_device
release() is called and you can cleanup.

What does alsa do with multiple node creation?

>> As far as I can tell, once you call rmmod it should no longer be possible to
>> open() an device node whose struct file_operations owner is that module (i.e.
>> the owner field of the file_operations struct points to that module). Looking
>> at the way fs/char_dev is implemented, that seems to be correctly handled by
>> the kernel core.
>
> Yes, that's a good news. There is only still the issue with the "unbind"
> sysfs
> attribute. I couldn't see any similar checks done around code
> implementing it.

That seems to me to be a core code issue and should be solved there.

>>> This issue is actually not only related to deferred probing. It can be
>>> also triggered by driver module removal or through driver's sysfs "unbind"
>>> attribute.
>>>
>>> Let's assume following scenario:
>>>
>>> - a driver module is loaded
>>> - driver probe is called, it registers video device,
>>> - udev opens /dev/video
>>> - after mutex_unlock(&videodev_lock); call in v4l2_open() in v4l2-core/
>>>    v4l2-dev.c something fails in probe()
>>
>> And that shouldn't happen. That's the crucial bit: under which scenario does
>> this happen for you? If there is a control path where you do create a working
>> device node, but the probe fails, then that will indeed cause all sorts of
>> problems. But it shouldn't get in that situation (except I think in the case
>> of multiple device nodes, which is something I need to think about).
>
> Yes, I'm dealing with multiple device nodes created from within media
> driver's
> probe(). As described above, there is quite a few things that could
> fail, even
> single sub-driver created multiple nodes for same IP block (capture,
> mem-to-mem).

Is this 'could fail', or 'I have seen it fail'? I have never seen problems in
probe()
with node creation. The only reason I know of why creating a node might fail is
being out-of-memory.

> [...]
>>>     struct fimc_lite *fimc = video_drvdata(file);
>>>     struct media_entity *me =&fimc->ve.vdev.entity;
>>>     int ret;
>>>
>>>     mutex_lock(&fimc->lock);
>>>     if (!video_is_registered(&fimc->ve.vdev)) {
>>>             ret = -ENODEV;
>>>             goto unlock;
>>>     }

>>>     /* Mark video pipeline ending at this video node as in use. */
>>>     if (ret == 0)
>>>             me->use_count++;
>>> unlock:
>>>     mutex_unlock(&fimc->lock);
>>>     return ret;
>>> }
>>>
>>> Now what will video_drvdata(file); return ?
>>>
>>> static inline void *video_drvdata(struct file *file)
>>> {
>>>     return video_get_drvdata(video_devdata(file));
>>> }
>>>
>>> static inline void *video_get_drvdata(struct video_device *vdev)
>>> {
>>>     return dev_get_drvdata(&vdev->dev);
>>> }
>>>
>>> Yes, so that will be just NULL o_O, due to the dev_set_drvdata(dev, NULL);
>>> in really_probe(). drvdata is cleared similarly in
>>> __device_release_driver(),
>>> right after calling driver's remove handler.
>>>
>>> Another issue I have is that, e.g.
>>> driver/media/platform/exynos4-is/fimc-lite*
>>> driver has empty video dev release() callback. It should be implemented
>>> in the driver to kfree the whole driver's private data structure where
>>> struct video_device is embedded in (struct fimc_lite). But that freeing
>>> really needs to be synchronized with driver's remove() call, since there
>>> is e.g. freed interrupt which accesses the driver's private data. I can't
>>> use kref from struct v4l2_device as that belongs to a different driver.
>>> A driver's custom reference counting comes to mind, where vdev->release()
>>> and drv->remove() would be decrementing the reference counter. But that
>>> seems ugly as hell :/ And it predates devm_*.
>>>
>>> This is all getting a bit depressing :/ Deferred probing and the
>>> asynchronous subdev handling just made those issues more visible, i.e.
>>> not very good design of some parts of the v4l2-core.
>>
>> It's just not clear to me how exactly things go wrong for you. Ping me on irc
>> tomorrow and we can discuss it further. I have reworked refcounting in the
>> past (at the time it was *really* bad), so perhaps we need to rework it
>> again,
>> particularly with video nodes associated with subdevices in the mix,
>> something
>> that didn't exist at the time.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for holding on with that for too long.
>
> The main issue as I see it is that we need to track both driver remove()
> and
> struct device .release() calls and free resources only when last of them
> executes. Data structures which are referenced in fops must not be freed in
> remove() and we cannot use dev_get_drvdata() in fops, e.g. not protected

You can do all that by returning 0 if probe() was partially successful (i.e.
one or more, but not all, nodes were created successfully) by doing what I
described above. I don't see another way that doesn't introduce a race
condition.

That doesn't mean that there isn't one, it's just that I don't know of a better
way of doing this.