Michael Krufky <mkrufky <at> linuxtv.org> writes:

> As the DVB maintainer, I am telling you that I won't merge this as a
> monolithic driver.  The standard is to separate the driver into
> modules where possible, unless there is a valid reason for doing
> otherwise.
>
> I understand that you used the PT1 driver as a reference, but we're
> trying to enforce a standard of codingstyle within the kernel.  I
> recommend looking at the other DVB drivers as well.

OK Sir. Any good / latest examples?

> Please shorten it to something more along the lines of:
>
> Support for Earthsoft PT3 PCI-Express cards.
>
> Say Y or M to enable support for this device.

Roger

> > FYI, there is another version of PT3 driver, named pt3_drv.ko, that
> > utilize character devices as the I/O. I'd rather use pt3_dvb.ko to
> > distinguish.
>
> we're not interested in multiple drivers for the same hardware.  Only
> one will be merged into the kernel, if any at all, and users need not
> think about the names of these drivers.  One of the beauties of
> merging a driver into the kernel is that users gain automatic support
> for the hardware without having to think or care about the name of the
> driver.

pt3_drv.ko is a public domain (old-fashioned) chardev driver for PT3,
and does not conform to standard DVB platform.
It doesn't seem to be merged into the mainstreem kernel tree.

> > Maybe I'd like to change the dirname:
> > drivers/media/pci/pt3_dvb => drivers/media/pci/pt3
>
> not a bad idea

> >> every source file and header file should include GPLv2 license headers.
> >
> > Roger: not very crucial though...
>
> entirely crucial if you're looking to merge into the kernel.  ...or
> did we misunderstand your request?

I meant: not a big task... is the following enough?

/*
 * DVB driver for Earthsoft PT3 PCI-E ISDB-S/T card
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2013 xxxx xxxx <xxx...@zng.info>
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
 */