On 11/26/2013 10:28 PM, Valentine wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 07:53 PM, Valentine wrote:
>> On 11/20/2013 07:42 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>>> Hi Valentine,
>
> Hi Hans,
>

>>> Did you ever look at this adv7611 driver:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/commit/610b9d5de22ae7c0047c65a07e4afa42af2daa12
>>
>> No, I missed that one somehow, although I did search for the adv7611/7612
>> before implementing this one.
>> I'm going to look closer at the patch and test it.
>>

> I've tried the patch and I doubt that it was ever tested on adv7611.
> I haven't been able to make it work so far. Here's the description of some of
> the issues
> I've encountered.
>
> The patch does not apply cleanly so I had to make small adjustments just to
> make it apply
> without changing the functionality.
>
> First of all the driver (adv7604_dummy_client function) does not set default
> I2C slave addresses
> in the I/O map in case they are not set in the platform data.
> This is not needed for 7604, since the default addresses are already set in
> the I/O map after chip reset.
> However, the map is zeroed on 7611/7612 after power up, and we always have to
> set it manually.

So, the platform data for the 7611/2 should always give i2c addresses. That
seems
reasonable.

> I had to implement the IRQ handler since the soc_camera model does not use
> interrupt_service_routine subdevice callback and R-Car VIN knows nothing
> about adv7612
> interrupt routed to a GPIO pin.
> So I had to schedule a workqueue and call adv7604_isr from there in case an
> interrupt happens.

For our systems the adv7604 interrupts is not always hooked up to a gpio irq,
instead
a register has to be read to figure out which device actually produced the irq.
So I
want to keep the interrupt_service_routine(). However, adding a gpio field to
the
platform_data that, if set, will tell the driver to request an irq and setup a
workqueue that calls interrupt_service_routine() would be fine with me. That
will
benefit a lot of people since using gpios is much more common.

> The driver enables multiple interrupts on the chip, however, the adv7604_isr
> callback doesn't
> seem to handle them correctly.
> According to the docs:
> "If an interrupt event occurs, and then a second interrupt event occurs
> before the system controller
> has cleared or masked the first interrupt event, the ADV7611 does not
> generate a second interrupt signal."
>
> However, the interrupt_service_routine doesn't account for that.
> For example, in case fmt_change interrupt happens while fmt_change_digital
> interrupt is being
> processed by the adv7604_isr routine. If fmt_change status is set just before
> we clear fmt_change_digital,
> we never clear fmt_change. Thus, we end up with fmt_change interrupt missed
> and therefore further interrupts disabled.
> I've tried to call the adv7604_isr routine in a loop and return from the
> worlqueue only when all interrupt status bits are cleared.
> This did help a bit, but sometimes I started getting lots of I2C read/write
> errors for some reason.

I'm not sure if there is much that can be done about this. The code reads the
interrupt status, then clears the interrupts right after. There is always a
race condition there since this isn't atomic ('read and clear'). Unless
Lars-Peter
has a better idea?

What can be improved, though, is to clear not just the interrupts that were
read, but all the interrupts that are unmasked. You are right, you could
loose an interrupt that way.

> I'm also not sure how the dv_timing API should be used.
> The internal adv7604 state->timings structure is used when getting mbus
> format.
> However, the driver does not set the structure neither at start-up nor in the
> interrupt service callback when format changes.
> Is it supposed to be set by the upper level camera driver?

It would be nice if the adv7604 would set up an initial timings format. In our
case it is indeed the bridge driver that sets it up, but in the general case it
is better if the i2c driver also sets an initial timings struct. 720p60 is
generally a good initial value.

The irq certainly shouldn't change timings: changing timings will most likely
require changes in the video buffer sizes, which generally requires stopping
streaming, reconfiguring the pipeline and restarting streaming. That's not
something the i2c driver can do.

The confusion you have with mbus vs dv_timings is that soc_camera lacks
dv_timings
support. It was designed for sensors, although there is now some support for
SDTV
receivers (s/g_std ioctls), but dv_timings support has to be added there as well
along the lines of what is done for s/g_std. Basically it is just a passthrough.

The way s_mbus_fmt is defined in adv7604 today is correct. s_dv_timings should
be
called to change the format, s_mbus_fmt should just return the current
width/height.
For HDTV there is more involved than just width and height when changing
formats,
just as SDTV.

So the right approach is to add support for query/enum/s/g_dv_timings and
dv_timings_cap
to soc_camera (just passthroughs). Then you can use it the way you are supposed
to.

> For example, when the camera driver receives v4l2_subdev_notify(sd,
> ADV7604_FMT_CHANGE, NULL);
> does it have to do the following:
> v4l2_subdev_call(sd, video, query_dv_timings, timings);
> v4l2_subdev_call(sd, video, s_dv_timings, timings);?
>
> I don't think that this is how it should work.

And it shouldn't work like that. The soc_camera driver has to send out a
FMT_CHANGE
event to the application. It is the application that will receive that event,
and
will have to call QUERY_DV_TIMINGS, stop streaming, allocate new buffers to
accomodate
the new buffer size, call S_DV_TIMINGS and STREAMON to restart the newly
configured
pipeline.

And we still haven't defined that FMT_CHANGE event. This is literally the first
time
that an upstreamed bridge driver has to support this.

I will make an RFC for this today or tomorrow. It's really time that we add it.

> Anyways, I've tried to call query_dv_timings to initialize state->timings
> from the interrupt service workqueue.

That's absolutely a no-go. Drivers should never change format midstream.

> I've been able to catch format change events though it looks very sloppy at
> the moment.
>
> BTW, the driver doesn't provide any locking for reading/writing the
> state->settings which I believe could cause
> some issues reading incomplete format when it changes asynchronously to the
> subdevice g_mbus_fmt operation.

That shouldn't happen asynchronously. If you have asynchronous behavior like
that, then
that needs a close look.

Another issue you have is how to set up the EDID in the receiver. Currently this
is done through the v4l2-subdevX device node of the subdev and the
VIDIOC_SUBDEV_G/S_EDID
ioctls. However, soc_camera does not create those device nodes at the moment.
For simple pipelines this may be overkill anyway. In our (non-upstreamed) bridge
drivers we just implement VIDIOC_SUBDEV_G/S_EDID in the bridge driver and
pass it through to the subdev. I have to think about this a bit more, perhaps
I should create VIDIOC_G/S_EDID ioctls that can be used by standard, simple
v4l2 devices as well. I'll add it to the RFC.

Regardless, soc_camera needs to add support for setting/getting EDIDs one way
or another.

>>> It adds adv761x support to the adv7604 in a pretty clean way.
>
> Doesn't seem that clean to me after having a look at it.
> It tries to handle both 7604 and 7611 chips in the same way, though,
> I'm not exactly sure if it's a good idea since 7611/12 is a pure HDMI
> receiver with no analog inputs.

The analog support of the adv7604 is pretty separate from the HDMI part, so
I don't see that as a big deal. That said, I do have to reevaluate that when
I see the latest version of this patch from Analog Devices later this week.

>>> Thinking it over I prefer to use that code (although you will have to
>>> add the soc-camera hack for the time being) over your driver.
>>>
>>> Others need adv7611 support as well, but with all the dv_timings etc.
>>> features
>>> that are removed in your driver. So I am thinking that it is easier to merge
>>> the xilinx version and add whatever you need on top of that.
>
> To be honest I'm more inclined to drop non-soc camera support from my driver
> and
> move it to media/i2c/soc_camera/ the moment. That would be easier.

I won't accept that, sorry. The issues you have derive more from
misunderstanding
the way an HDTV receiver is supposed to work (it's not all that easy to wrap
your
head around it) and from missing functionality for HDTV in soc_camera and even
in
the V4L2 API (because certain bridge drivers that demonstrate how it works
couldn't
be upstreamed and we want to avoid adding API additions without having drivers
using it).

> I don't have any h/w I could test the xilinx version with non-SoC camera
> interface.

Other than the glue to get hold of the platform_data there is no need for
additional
soc_camera changes in the driver, so that's not the issue. But soc_camera itself
needs to be enhanced with dv_timings/FMT_CHANGE/EDID support.