Hi Bryan, Milo and Sakari,

Thanks for the replies.

On 04/02/2014 05:17 PM, Sakari Ailus wrote:
Hi Bryan,

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 03:09:55PM -0700, Bryan Wu wrote:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Jacek Anaszewski
<j.anaszew...@samsung.com> wrote:
I am currently integrating LED subsystem and V4L2 Flash API.
V4L2 Flash API defines units of torch and flash intensity
in milliampers. In the LED subsystem documentation I can't
find any reference to the brightness units. On the other
hand there is led_brightness enum defined in the <linux/leds.h>
header, with LED_FULL = 255, but not all leds drivers use it.
I am aware that there are LEDs that can be only turned on/off
without any possibility to set the current and in such cases
LED_FULL doesn't reflect the current set.

Actually led_brightness is an logic concept not like milliampers,
since different led drivers has different implementation which is
hardware related. Like PWM led driver, it will be converted to duty
cycles.

For current control I do see some specific driver like LP55xx have it
but not for every one.

So far I've assumed that brightness is expressed in milliampers
and I don't stick to the LED_FULL limit. It allows for passing
flash/torch intensity from V4L2 controls to the leds API
without conversion. I am not sure if the units should be
fixed to milliampers in the LED subsystem or not. It would
clarify the situation, but if the existing LED drivers don't
stick to this unit then it would make a confusion.

We probably need to convert those intensity to brightness numbers, for
example mapping the intensity value to 0 ~ 255 brightness level and
pass it to LED subsystem.

I think for some devices it wouldn't matter much, but on those that
generally are used as flash the current is known, and thus it should also be
visible in the interface. The conversion from mA to native units could be
done directly, or indirectly through the LED API.

There are a few things to consider though: besides minimum and maximum
values for the current, the V4L2 controls have a step parameter that would
still need to be passed to the control handler when creating the control.
That essentially tells the user space how many levels does the control have.

Care must be taken if converting to LED API units in between mA and native
units so that the values will get through unchanged. On the other hand, I
don't expect to get more levels than 256 either. But even this assumes that
the current selection would be linear.

After analyzing the problem I decided to implement it this way:

1. V4L2 Flash control will use existing LED API for setting/getting
   torch brightness
        - V4L2 Flash control handler will take care of
          mA <-> enum led_brightness conversion
2. New API for flash leds will use mA with int primitive
   as its type
        - min, max and step parameters will not be used on the
          LED subsystem level to keep it as simple as possible -
          instead each flash driver will align the brightness
          according to the device constraints; the adjusted value
          will be made available for the LED subsystem after calling
          led_update_flash_brightness function
        - min, max and step parameters will be passed to the
          v4l2-flash in the v4l2_flash_ctrl_config structure -
          it was introduced in my RFC.
3. New API for indicator LEDs will be introduced in the led_flash
   module - it will define its units as uA with int primitive
   as the type

If you have any comments please let me know.

Thanks,
Jacek Anaszewski