Moikka!,
thanks for the comments and advices.

I had been updating my code and during that, I also found that
updating property cache in tuner_ops.get_signal_strength() was
simple and (seemed to me) better than using a kthread,
so the current implementation (under testing) is just like
what Mauro proposed, but,

> In time: not implementing its own thread has one drawback: the driver needs
> to check if the minimal time needed to get a new stats were already archived.

since I don't know the minimal time and
whether there's a limit in the first place,
I'd like to let users take the responsibility.

>> ... I simply don't understand why you want hook that RF strength call
>> via demod? The frontend cache is shared between demod and tuner. We use
>> it for tuner drivr as well demod driver. Let the tuner driver make RSSI
>> calculation independently without any unneeded relation to demod driver.

I think the main reason for the hook is because the dvb-core calls
ops.get_frontend() everytime before reading of any property cache,
so it is already a nice place to trigger property updates,
and reading any property involves demod (FE as a whole) anyway.

regards,
akihiro