On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:40:45AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:

> Right. I introduced DVB_FE_DEVICE_RESUME code to resume
> problems in drx39xxj driver. Because I had to make it not
> toggle power on the fe for resume. In other words, for it
> to differentiate between disconnect and resume conditions.
>
> dvb_frontend_resume() is used by dvb_usbv2 dvb_usb_core -
> dvb_usbv2_resume_common()
>
> Calling dvb_frontend_reinitialise() from dvb_frontend_resume()
> could break dvb_usbv2 drivers because it has handling for
> reset_resume in its core in dvb_usbv2_reset_resume()

Needs testing...

> reverting media: em28xx - remove reset_resume interface
> might be a short-term solution. I think the longterm
> solution is adding a dvb_frontend_reset_resume() that
> does dvb_frontend_reinitialise() just like you suggested.
>
> In addition, em28xx will call dvb_frontend_reset_resume()
> from its reset_resume
>
> What do you think?

The dvb_frontend_resume() is also too risky for short term
fix, but I think it does the right thing.  Let's sleep over
it a few nights.

For short term I think there is no way around the
b89193e0b06f revert.  You don't want a kernel with
hang-after-resume bugs to hit major distributions
like Ubuntu.  For the xc5000 firmware issue I think
you should get the patches from the development
branch into 3.17 (and 3.16-stable).  If you have the
patches ready, tell me and I'll test.

Thanks,
Johannes