On 09/29/2014 03:02 PM, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 09/29/2014 11:43 AM, Bimow Chen wrote:
Register 0x800048 is not dB measure but relative scale. Fix it and
conform to NorDig specifications.

eh, 0x800048 register returned strength normalized to 0-100 %. But that
was earlier when older firmwares used. I have seen it does not return
anything anymore, so I am very fine it is replaced with something
meaningful.

But the issues is that this patches changes current DVBv5 signal
reporting from dBm to relative. I indeed implemented it is as a dBm and
I checked it using modulator RF strength it really is dBm. Now you add
some glue which converts dBm to relative value between 0-0xffff.

I encourage you to use modulator yourself to generate signals. Then use
dvbv5-zap to see values DVBv5 API reports.

If you really want return 0-0xffff values, then do it for old DVBv3
read_signal_strength(), but do not change new DVBv5 statistics to
relative. dBm, as a clearly defined unit, is always preferred over
relative. Relative was added to API for cases we cannot report well
known units.

Could you tell which is unit NorDig specification defines for signal
strength?

According to latest NorDig specification, page 39
http://www.nordig.org/pdf/NorDig-Unified_ver_2.5.1.pdf
there is two kind of reports, basic and advanced. Normal report is (%) which suits well for relative scale.

The basic status check shall include:
* channel id, according to Annex B.2
* centre frequency
* Signal Strength Indicator, SSI (%), according to section 3.4.4.6
* Signal Quality Indicator, SQI (%), according to section 3.4.4.7

The terrestrial NorDig IRD should provide an advanced status check function (accessible through the Navigator) that presents the following information:
* channel id, according to Annex B.2
* centre frequency
* signal strength (dBm or dBμV)
* signal strength indicator, SSI (%), according to section 3.4.4.6
* signal quality indicator, SQI (%), according to section 3.4.4.7
* C/N (dB)
* BER before Reed Solomon decoding (DVB-T) or BCH decoding (DVB-T2)
* Uncorrected packets

regards
Antti
--