Thanks for your reply.
Your feeling that VB-WinXP would be the problem sent me back to that.
So I found that VB picking up USB 2.0 devices requires the Extension Pack installed with ehci controller enabled , and that cured that problem, and the device now finds it's XP driver.

The grabber software loads OK and asks for the signal information. Since the software goes with this particular device, I am surprised at this - it should know it already, shouldn't it?

Although the software's input is the device's output, it also seems to depend on the device's input, i.e. the HDMI stream.This stream comes via satellite dish and decoder box, and is picking up Freeview channels in Australia.

Almost all of the options produce the error: "Sigma Designs USB Device device does not active or error !" [sic] The best combination of options produces a good picture, but it moves very slowly and after a few seconds freezes.
XP cannot then terminate the process, and neither can VB > Close.
So I have to VB > Reset
Then Ubuntu loses the device from lsusb and it needs too be unplugged and plugged in again, and VB-WinXP started again.

Any assistance would be welcome - as you can probably tell, I really don't know what I'm doing.

Dave