On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 13:41 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 08:10 -0400, Christopher Neufeld wrote:

> > > This is a v4l2-ctl bug. I'll fix that asap. But using cc=1 is a valid
> > > workaround.

> Can you verify that
>
>       v4l2-ctl -d <DEV> --get-fmt-sliced-vbi --get-ctrl=stream_vbi_format
>
> also fails, and that
>
>       v4l2-ctl --list-devices
>       v4l2-ctl -d /dev/vbi<N> --set-fmt-sliced-vbi=cc=1
> --set-ctrl=stream_vbi_format=1
>       v4l2-ctl -d /dev/vbi<N> --get-fmt-sliced-vbi
> --get-ctrl=stream_vbi_format
>
> both succeed on the corresponding vbi node?
>
> Looking at the v3.16 kernel code that I'm compiling right now, it looks
> like extra checks put in the v4l2-core don't allow setting sliced VBI
> formats using video device nodes:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/cgit.cgi/v4l-utils.git/tree/utils/v4l2-ctl/v4l2-ctl-vbi.cpp#n209
> http://git.linuxtv.org/cgit.cgi/media_tree.git/tree/drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ioctl.c#n959
> http://git.linuxtv.org/cgit.cgi/media_tree.git/tree/drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ioctl.c#n1192
> http://git.linuxtv.org/cgit.cgi/media_tree.git/tree/drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-ioctl.c#n1265
>
> I have to actually install and test, but this is my current guess.

FWIW, those checks were introduced in this commit:
http://git.linuxtv.org/cgit.cgi/media_tree.git/commit/?id=4b20259fa642d6f7a2dabef0b3adc14ca9dadbde

Hans,
I'm inclined to say these checks are good things, but they did break
existing behavior for user scripts and apps at about kernel v3.7 AFAICT.

FYI, MythTV has already worked around it:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11723
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/25310069a1154213cbc94c903c8b0ace30893ec4

But I don't know about any other apps.

Regards,