I have tried now with a newer kernel (3.14) and I can't even get an
stream from /dev/video0. The file is always empty.

Here is the dmesg of it:
http://pastebin.com/pm720UnR

It is correctly identifying the device, however it cannot grab any
bytes from the dd command as below:
dd if=/dev/video0 of=ImageOut.raw bs=10065748 count=1

Any tips on how to investigate it further?

Coutinho
www.phiinnovations.com