Em Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:55:14 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> On 12/12/2014 01:49 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:16:01 +0100
> > Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> escreveu:
> >
> >> Hi Shuah,
> >>
> >> This is the video.c review with your patch applied.

> >> I'll see if I can get this to work quickly. If not, then we should
> >> probably just strip the VBI support from this driver. It's pointless to
> >> have non-functioning VBI support.
> >
> > This is a left-over. VBI support works on this driver. I tested.
>
> Oh wait, now I get it. You are only capturing line 21, not the whole vbi area.
> That's why vbi_height = 1. Never mind then. Although that comment should
> indeed
> be removed.
>

> > Probably, the patches that added VBI support forgot to remove the
> > above notice.

> >> Why would tvtime be hanging? Make a separate patch that just removes all
> >> this
> >> timeout nonsense. If there are no frames, then tvtime (and any other app)
> >> should
> >> just wait for frames to arrive. And ctrl-C should always be able to break
> >> the app
> >> (or they can timeout themselves).
> >>
> >> It's not the driver's responsibility to do this and it only makes the code
> >> overly
> >> complex.
> >
> > Well, we should not cause regressions on userspace. If removing this
> > check will cause tvtime to hang, we should keep it.
>
> Obviously if it hangs (i.e. tvtime can't be killed anymore) it is a bug in
> the driver.
> But the driver shouldn't start generating bogus frames just because no new
> frames are
> arriving, that's just nuts.

If I remember the bug well, what used to happen is that tvtime would wait
for a certain amount of time for a frame. If nothing arrives, it stops
capturing.

The net effect is that tvtime shows no picture. This used to be so bad
that tvtime didn't work with vivi at all.

The bug used also to manifest there if lots of frames got dropped
when, for example, changing from one channel to another.

Btw, on a quick look, I'm not seeing any patch at tvtime since we took
it over that would be fixing it. So, it was either a VB bug or the
bug is still there.