Hi Josh,

On Monday 12 January 2015 17:14:33 Josh Wu wrote:
> On 1/9/2015 6:47 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> No, this doesn't look right to me. The camera sensor has only one clock
> >> input, so, it should only request one clock. Where does the clock signal
> >> to the camera come from on your system?
> >
> > That's correct, the sensor driver only has one clock input, so it should
> > just request the xvclk clock.
> >
> >> If it comes from the ISI itself, you don't need to specify the clock in
> >> the DT, since the ISI doesn't produce a clock from DT. If you do want to
> >> have your clock consumer (ov2640) and the supplier (ISI) properly
> >> described in DT, you'll have to teach the ISI to register a CCF clock
> >> source, which then will be connected to from the ov2640. If you choose
> >> not to show your clock in the DT, you can just use v4l2_clk_get(dev,
> >> "xvclk") and it will be handled by v4l2_clk / soc-camera / isi-atmel.
> >>
> >> If the closk to ov2640 is supplied by a separate clock source, then you
> >> v4l2_clk_get() will connect ov2640 to it directly and soc-camera will
> >> enable and disable it on power-on / -off as required.
> >
> > The ISI has no way to supply a sensor clock, the clock is supplied by a
> > separate clock source.
> >
> >> From your above description it looks like the clock to ov2640 is
> >> supplied by a separate source, but atmel-isi's .clock_start() /
> >> .clock_stop() functions still need to be called? By looking at those
> >> functions it looks like they turn on and off clocks, supplying the ISI
> >> itself... Instead of only turning on and off clocks, provided by the ISI
> >> to a camera sensor. If my understanding is right, then this is a bug in
> >> atmel-isi and it has to be fixed.
> >
> > That's correct as well, the ISI driver needs to be fixed.
>
> Thanks both of you for the details. Now I got it.
> Indeed, I need fix this in atmel-isi driver not in ov2640 driver.
> So I will send a new patch for this, which should move the ISI
> peripheral clock enable/disable() from clock_start/stop() to
> isi_camera_add_device/remove_device().

Shouldn't you move it to the start_streaming() and stop_streaming() functions
instead ? An even better solution would be to use runtime PM to enable/disable
the ISI clock in the runtime PM resume and suspend handlers, and call
pm_runtime_get_sync() and pm_runtime_put() when you need the ISI to be
operational.

Laurent Pinchart