Hi Hans,

On Saturday 21 March 2015 09:41:29 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> I've been thinking about extending v4l2-compliance with v4l-subdev tests.
>
> However, there are a few missing pieces that are needed before this can be
> done.
>
> First of all is that there is no subdev equivalent to VIDIOC_QUERYCAP, i.e.
> an ioctl that is guaranteed to always be available.
>
> So I propose the following ioctl:
>
> VIDIOC_SUBDEV_QUERYCAP(struct v4l2_subdev_capability);
>
> struct v4l2_subdev_capability {
>       char name[V4L2_SUBDEV_NAME_SIZE];
>       __u32 version;                  // same as KERNEL_VERSION like QUERYCAP
> does
>       __u32 device_caps;
>       __u32 pads;
>       __u32 entity_id;
>       __u32 reserved[40];
> };
>
> /* This v4l2_subdev is also a media entity and the entity_id field is valid
> */ #define V4L2_SUBDEV_CAP_ENTITY             (1 << 0)
>
> This will allow v4l2-compliance to discover that this is a bona fide v4l2
> subdevice. All the information in the struct above can be filled in by
> v4l2-subdev.c, no need to change drivers.

This looks quite good to me. There's a prerequisite though, we need to
formally define the naming scheme for subdevs, otherwise we'll expose yet
another ill-defined name that will cause issues later.

> The reason I included 'pads' as well is that subdev drivers can have a
> devnode without being an entity, but still support ioctls like
> VIDIOC_SUBDEV_ENUM_MBUS_CODE. In that case v4l2-compliance needs to know
> the number of pads in order to properly test. If it is an entity, then the
> entity information can be obtained from the MC, see below how to find the
> MC.

Shouldn't we make it mandatory for subdevs to be entities if they want to
expose a subdev node ? Otherwise applications won't be able to find out how
the subdev relates to other subdevs and v4l2 devices, making the API quite
shaky in my opinion.

> Note: I think it makes sense to extend VIDIOC_QUERYCAP as well with a
> CAP_ENTITY and an entity_id.
>
> The next step is to be able to associate a media device with a v4l2-subdev.
>
> Originally I though of adding the major and minor numbers of the media
> device to the capability struct, but I'd like to do that for
> VIDIOC_QUERYCAP as well, and there are only 3 reserved fields (2 after
> taking one for the entity_id).
>
> Instead I think we can just implement the MEDIA_IOC_DEVICE_INFO ioctl: this
> returns all info about the media_device, and it can easily be extended to
> include the major and minor number of that device.

Hmmm... I'm not too found of that approach. Can't userspace find the
corresponding media device through sysfs ? I'd like to point that the common
use case is to start from the media device and find the entities. Finding the
media device from a subdev is useful mostly for test tools, but it's not the
main use case.

> Again, supporting this is easily done in the core, both for regular video
> nodes and for subdev nodes, so drivers do not need to be changed.
>
> This way you can easily find whether a V4L2 device node is an entity and
> what the associated media controller is. All the information is available,
> we just need to expose it.
>
> Comments?

Please see above :-)

Laurent Pinchart