On 14 June 2015 at 02:44, David Härdeman <da...@hardeman.nu> wrote:

> One idea that I've had in the back of my head for a long time is to use the
> "flags" member of "struct rc_keymap_entry" in the new EVIOC[GS]KEYCODE_V2
> ioctl variant (see http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg88452.html).
>
> If a RC_POWERON flag was defined, it could be used for that purpose...

Ooh, that approach would indeed provide a cleaner api for setting the
wakeup scancode. I like the idea though I haven't really had the
chance to try it out.

>> I'm sorry that the encoding functionality clashes with your intentions
>> of improving the rc-core. I guess Mauro likes encoders more than
>> improving rc-core fundamentals :)
>> Kidding aside the fact that this series got merged might suggest that
>> you and Mauro don't necessarily share the same views about the future
>> and possible api breaks of rc-core.
>

> If you've followed the development of rc-core during the last few years it
> should be pretty clear that Mauro has little to no long-term plan,
> understanding of the current issues or willingness to fix them. I wouldn't
> read too much into the fact that the code was merged.
>
>> Tell you what, I'll agree to reverting the series. In exchange I would
>> hope that you and Mauro mutually agree and let me know on:
>>  - What are the issues that need to be fixed in the encoding series
>> prefarably with how to fix them (e.g. module load order ambiquity,
>> whether a new api is needed, or switching to a more limited
>> functionality is desired like you suggested then so be it etc.)
>>  - When is a good chance to re-submit the series (e.g. after
>> ioctl/scancode/whatever api break is done or some pending series is
>> merged or some other core refactoring work is finished etc.)
>>
>> Deal?
>

> Mauro....wake up? I hope you're not planning to push the current code
> upstream???

Yeah, I'm also inclined to target for a longer term solution with this
so the current patches can be reverted.

I think I now also have enough information to go and respin the
patches to utilize the new EVIOCSKEYCODE_V2 if and when that gets
included in the rc-core.

--
Antti