On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 11/17/15 14:15, Ran Shalit wrote:

>>> No. All video capture/output devices all use DMA since it would be
>>> prohibitively
>>> expensive for the CPU to do otherwise. So just dig in and implement it.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Is the cobalt or other pci v4l device have the chip datasheet
>> available so that we can do a reverse engineering and gain more
>> understanding about the register read/write for the dma transactions ?
>> I made a search but it seems that the PCIe chip datasheet for these
>> devices is not available anywhere.
>
> Sorry, no, it's not publicly available.
>
> But they all work along the same lines: each DMA descriptor has a
> PCI DMA address (where the data should be written to in memory), the length
> (bytes) of the DMA transfer and the pointer to the next DMA descriptor
> (chaining
> descriptors together). Finally there is some bit to trigger and interrupt when
> the full frame has been transferred.

Thank you all very much for all these valuable information !
I must admit that when I observe the source examples,
it seems quite complex, (at least much more complex than the driver I
am familiar with, which most of them time is taking a functional
example and understanding what to change and how, or writing simple
drivers.... )

If there are any other tips and ideas about debug/testing/development
steps when doing pci v4l device driver please tell me.

Thank you all very much,
Ran