Hi Hans,

On Friday 11 December 2015 17:25:40 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 12/11/2015 05:04 PM, Ulrich Hecht wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > The rcar_vin driver relies on these methods.  The third patch makes sure
> > that they return up-to-date data if the input signal has changed since
> > initialization.
> >
> > CU
> > Uli
> >
> > Ulrich Hecht (3):
> >   media: adv7604: implement g_crop
> >   media: adv7604: implement cropcap
>
> I'm not keen on these changes. The reason is that these ops are deprecated
> and soc-camera is - almost - the last user. The g/s_selection ops should be
> used instead.
>
> Now, I have a patch that changes soc-camera to g/s_selection. The reason it
> was never applied is that I had a hard time finding hardware to test it
> with.
>
> Since you clearly have that hardware I think I'll rebase my (by now rather
> old) patch and post it again. If you can switch the adv7604 patch to
> g/s_selection and everything works with my patch, then I think I should
> just make a pull request for it.
>
> I hope to be able to do this on Monday.
>
> If switching soc-camera over to g/s_selection isn't possible, then at the
> very least your adv7604 changes should provide the g/s_selection
> implementation. I don't want to have to convert this driver later to
> g/s_selection.

I understand your concern and i agree with you. Our plan is to move the rcar-
vin driver away from soc-camera. Unfortunately that will take some time, and
being able to use the adv7604 driver with rcar-vin would be very handy for
testing on some of our boards.

Let's see how g/s_selection support in soc-camera works out and then decide on
what to do.

> >   media: adv7604: update timings on change of input signal
> >
> >  drivers/media/i2c/adv7604.c | 38 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >  1 file changed, 38 insertions(+)

Laurent Pinchart