From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't see, blind man walking, HELP. Where's the door?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:43:25 +0100

Chicken wrote:

> No, nobody can 'come in and tell you what the name of the file' IS...
> like good 'ol windoze, your _monitor_ limits the resolutions your OS can
> handle, so check if you set the right monitor type & make etc. _before_
> upping the resolution

Still the file to change these things manually exists (and is used
often), and is called /etc/X11/XF86Config

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: UPDATE: PM Error 105 Please Look: Results of `fdisk -l /dev/hda`
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:40:32 +0100

Brando wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:42:37 GMT, Brando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> CORRECTION: This is what it looks like
>
> >> Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 776 cylinders
> >> Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
> >>
> >>    Device Boot     Start             End          Blocks            Id
>System
> >> /dev/hda2   *         39             775         5564160           c
>Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
> >> Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
> >>        phys=(774, 15, 63) should be (774, 239, 63)
>
> Brando

First of all I deleted some NG's from your list, make a choice, and post
there, it doesn't really matter, lots of people monitor more than one
group anyway.

This result stil shows the reason of your problem, The easiest solution
now, is to use DOS FDISK to create a new partition, that does start/end
at a cylinder boundary (DOS FDISK will do this for you) Then copy all
data from the old partition to the new partition, and remove the current
partition. after you've done that, you can use PM to move that partition
you've just created and add new partitions.

Unfortunately PM is very strict on what it allows in partition tables,
therefor it cannot handle partition tables that aren't compliant to
these strict rules (one of them is that partitions must start/end at
cylinder boundaries.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the relation between Linux and GCC
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:31:10 -0500

Rod Smith wrote:

> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Te-Cheng Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hello
> >     This question has confused me for a while and I think that it is
> > time to speak it out and ask for some help.
> >
> >     The question is that Linux kernel is compiled with gcc but gcc is
> > built on top of Linux kernel.  How can this happen?  Image that I have a
> > gcc and it needs being installed on top of Linux kernel.  This sentence
> > makes sense to me.  However, if the previous sentence makes sense, how
> > can we compile Linux kernel using gcc?  I really do not understand.
> >
> >     Take the first version of Linux, for example, what compiler used to
> > compile it?  Gcc? or some other compilers?  Can anyone show me a way to
> > figure this out?
>
> If I recall correctly, the first versions of the Linux kernel were
> compiled using GCC running on Minix. (It's conceivable that Linux was
> first built using some other compiler, though.)

I don't know for sure (not having been around Linux from the beginning),
but it was probably the ACK (Amsterdam Compiler Kit) C compiler that
came with Minix that was _first_ used to compile the Linux kernel.

> Once Linux was running
> well enough, GCC was recompiled (again, using Minix's version of GCC)
> to run natively under Linux.
>
> Remember, GCC is not a Linux-only program; GCC existed LONG before
> Linux existed, and it runs (and ran) on many other platforms --
> Windows, DOS, OS/2, BeOS, most or all commercial Unixes, etc. Many of
> these were not compiled using GCC, although they were compiled using
> other compilers.
>
> Ultimately, though, this chicken-and-egg cycle leads to the same
> conundrum: How can you build an OS without a compiler, and how can you
> build a compiler without an OS? The answer leads back to OSs that were
> simple enough they didn't need compilers; they were hand-coded in raw
> binary.

Actually, the root of _this_ OS tree was hand coded in PDP-7 assembler,
and cross assembled on (IIRC) a GE system (running GECOS). You might
want to check out Lucent Technologies "History of Unix" website for the
gory details. Once the first Unix was written and running, Bell Labs
wrote a compiler based on BCPL, then rewrote most of the Unix OS in the
language compiled by this compiler. The  results became the seed for the
Unix (and Linux) we know, and the language which evolved into ISO
standard C with Posix extensions.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: "Orion Slevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can't print in redhat 7
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:19:04 -0800

I user printtool to set up my printer correctly but when
I try to print I get this error message:

Get_local_host: 'localhost' IP address not available!

I have a stand alone machine not connected to the internet
or a network. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

------------------------------

From: patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with screen
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:35:51 +0100

Thanks for help.....
I find out a solution to do an autologin for a specific user. I tought
it will load a terminal but it's not so.
You said it's possible to run screen from /etc/inittab file? That's
wonderfull... I try to search for that....
Thanks again

------------------------------

From: Shyam Govardhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Intel Pocket PC Camera and Redhat 6.1
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:04:34 GMT

Hi there,

I just scored a free Intel Pocket PC Camera (USB interface). I have
installed "gphoto-0.4.3-0_helix_1.i386.rpm" on Redhat 6.1. However, this
camera is not listed in the compatibility list. Could someone please let
me know if they have got it to work on Redhat 6.1.

Thanks in advance.

- Shyam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Tuesday 14 November 2000: Elliott Spitzer, Attorney General of New York,
Martin Garbus, Defender of the People, and Jules Polonetsky of DoubleClick on the
several massive intertwined plots against your privacy and property
Date: 14 Nov 2000 04:16:38 -0500

This meeting is important to attend because the battle is heating up and we
want Elliott Spitzer and Jules Polonetsky to know who we are and how we
feel.  Martin Garbus has already told them a hundred times, but repetition
helps get the point across.

The official notice below comes from

http://www.law.nyu.edu/engelbergcenter/publiclecture00.html

New York University Law School lies just south of Washington Square Park.

Subway stops close to the Law School:

Astor Place and Bleecker Street stops of the Lexington Avenue Line
Broadway-Lafayette stop of the B,D, and F lines
West 4th Street stop of the A, B, C, D, E, and F lines
Christopher Street-Sheridan Square stop of the 1 line

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

                Engelberg Center of Innovation Law & Policy
       A Worldwide Resource for Practical Information on Intellectual
                               Property Laws

   PUBLIC LECTURE

     The Gottlieb, Rackman & Reisman Seminar in Intellectual Property:
            Caught in the Web: Privacy Concerns and the Internet
                        Wednesday, November 14, 2000
                      5:30-7:30 PM, NYU School of Law

   Speakers:

   Martin S. Garbus, Frankfurt, Garbus, Klein & Selz, P.C.; Jules
   Polonetsky, Chief Privacy Officer, DoubleClick Inc.; Elliott Spitzer,
   Attorney General, New York State

   Moderator:

   Rochelle Dreyfuss, Director, The Engelberg Center on Innovation Law
   and Policy, Professor of Law, NYU School of Law
   If you would like to attend, please contact Nicole Fenchel, by
   telephone, 998-6013, or by email, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                       ../Library/Engelberg%20Center

                     ../Library/How%20to%20Contact%20Us
                                  [INLINE]
       ../Library/Index%20of%20Links   ../Library/Site%20Map   [LINK]
         ../Library/NYU%20Law   ../Library/NYU%20Homepage [INLINE]
       Copyright &COPY; New York University School of Law. All rights
                                 reserved.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Pritchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: MP3 decoder-encoder
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:12:45 GMT

In article <8up67k$mf7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Derek Jolly) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Pritchard), in message
> <8s1j30$on$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote
>
> >I used abcde (A Better Cd Encoder) which unfortunately is command
line.

> I'm using bladeenc personally.  I've written a little shell script
that
> enables me to create a file called tracklist in a directory containing
> each of the track names on the CD.  Passing the directory to the
script
> then goes off and runs cdda2wav and bladeenc on each of the tracks on
> the CD naming them as trackname.mp3, where trackname is the relevant
> entry in the tracklist file.

abcde doesn't actually do the encoding. From the freshmeat entry:

abcde is a frontend to cdparanoia, wget, cd-discid, id3, and your
favorite Ogg/MP3 encoder (Oggenc is the default). It grabs an entire CD
and converts each track to Ogg/MP3, then comments or ID3-tags each file,
all with one command. It supports parallelization, SMP, HTTP proxies,
customizable filename organization and munging, playlist generation, and
remote distributed encoding via distmp3.

A very good piece of software.

Andrew

From: Kaybenn Sturas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Upgrading kernel (From 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:00:35 -0800

Eric B wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > other=/dev/hda1
> >     label=dos
> >
> > * I was sure to include the option in the kernel to allow VGA consoles.
> > However I have tried commenting this line out with no change :(
> >
> > I then ran /sbin/lilo -v to update the mbr.
> > Now when I try to load linux2 from the LILO: prompt I get:

> > Then the screen goes black, however my HDD light blinks as if the kernel
> > is booting, I just can not see it :(.  I can't change virtual terminals
> > in and rebooting blindly but it dosen't seem to work).
> >
> > I have read the kernel-HOWTO, the README file that came with the kernel
> > and many docs online (As well as searched usenet for similiar questions)
> >
> > Have I left out a needed video driver?
> > Is there a way to log what is happening while my screen is black?
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated :)
> >
> > Thanks
> >     Kaybenn :)
> >
> > Note:  Remove the NOSPAM to reply by email :)
> You should not path lilo to the /usr/src/linux directory, it is probably
> way out of the 1024th cyl.  You need to copy bzImage to
> /boot/vmlinuz.new (for example). In addition copy the
> /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map (save the old one as
> System.map.old).  Now edit your lilo.conf so that your second entry
> points to /boot/vmlinuz.new.  Next run /sbin/lilo.  Here is my lilo.conf
> file for reference, but keep in mind that it is off a Slackware box,
> there is an entry for the frambuffer console (I like the cool penguin
> logo:), and an entry to map my cdrom burner to ide-scsi, you can ignore
> these if neccessary.  I would definetely forgo experimenting with the
> framebuffer video driver until you have your kernel booting
> successfully.
> Eric bueschel
>
> # LILO configuration file
> #
> # Start LILO global section
> boot = /dev/sda
> prompt
> timeout = 1200
> # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
> vga = 791
> # End LILO global section
> # boot primary linux kernel
> image = /boot/vmlinuz
>   root = /dev/sda3
>   label = Linux
>   read-only
> append="hda=ide-scsi"
> # DOS bootable partition config begins
> other = /dev/sda1
>   label = DOS
>   table = /dev/sda
> # DOS bootable partition config ends
> # backup kernel config
> image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
>   root = /dev/sda3
>   label = old
>   read-only
> # Linux bootable partition config ends
>
> --
> Windows:  A 32 bit shell for a 16 bit operating system, originally
> written for
> an 8 bit processor on a 4 bit bus by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but same results :(
Are there any special permissions that an Image file must have?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Toffer)
Subject: PPP on RedHat 7.0
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:29:38 GMT

Where oh where has the PPP/SLIP etc configuration component of netconf
and linuxconf gone in redhat 7.0? How does one configure a PPP client
connection now?

------------------------------

From: Huebner Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fetchmail...
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:47:42 +0100

is there a way to say fetchmail that it should
delete all messages from a pop-server without
downloading them?

something like flush...

thx thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Stack access speed
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:52:21 GMT

Hi all:

My name is Alan and I have a question that I need some help from all
great minds in this forum.

The question are as follow:

Question:

Platform 1 = Pentium 600 ,Win NT 4.0 + SP4 , Visual C++ 6.0
Platform 2 = Pentium 600, Suse Linux 6.4 , GCC compiler 2.95.2 with
optimize flag '-O2' set.

I have programmed the following code for a small test and run it on two
different platform as stated above.

Code:
====

void STATIC_RAM_TEST()
{
        unsigned long bigArray1[500];
        unsigned long bigArray2[500];
        unsigned long bigArray3[500];
        unsigned long bigArray4[500];
        unsigned long bigArray5[500];
        unsigned long bigArray6[500];
        unsigned long bigArray7[500];
        unsigned long bigArray8[500];
        unsigned long i;

        for (i=0;i<500;i++) {
                bigArray2[i] = bigArray1[i] + i;
                bigArray3[i] = bigArray2[i] + bigArray1[i];
                bigArray4[i] = bigArray3[i] + bigArray2[i];
                bigArray5[i] = bigArray4[i] + bigArray3[i];
                bigArray6[i] = bigArray5[i] + bigArray4[i];
                bigArray7[i] = bigArray6[i] + bigArray5[i];
                bigArray8[i] = bigArray7[i] + bigArray6[i];
        }
}

The results is as follow:
MS Visual C++ =  ~900ms
Linux with GCC = ~2000ms

We then change the declaration of these arrays to "static" and rerun
the test, the result are as follow:

MS Visual C++ =  ~900ms
Linux with GCC = ~950ms

We have isolated the problem to be "access speed to locally defined
automatic arrays" i.e. stack access speed. Our arrays are typically 1
KB in size and we use lots of them in our functions. As shown above, we
ran some timing tests for simple manipulation of arrays cells and found
that arrays defined as "automatic" ran significantly slower than arrays
defined as "static". This has caused our program to crawl in certain
instances when arrays are constantly being pushed and popped from the
stack. Is there a way to configure Linux to be more efficient in this
regard, or possibly we have missed something in GCC?

Any help would be much appreciated here. Thank you for your time.

Alan