Linux-Misc Digest #370, Volume #26               Wed, 22 Nov 00 14:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Motd and mail on login ("vkd")
  Re: SCO 'tar' media with Linux? (fred smith)
  sound card
  NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client (Subha Pindiproli)
  rexec not working (Scott Twitchell - EWB Support)
  Warning Cannot find pixmap file ... Help! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A stronger kill (Floyd Davidson)
  Time Flies and it is not Fun (Martin McCormick)
  Re: NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client (Robert Kiesling)
  Re: Help with Castlewood ORB and Linksys Etherfast 10/100 NIC ("Tagbo Ekwueme-Okoli")
  cron output redirection (Bruce)
  Re: Motd and mail on login ("vkd")
  Experience using Enhydra WebServer? (Thomas Weholt)
  Re: Software RAID (moonie;))
  LINUX FILE SERVER PROBLEM ("Dave Metvedt")
  RH7,kgcc,linksys,SMP: cannotinsmod tulip.o! (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: spam spam everywhere! (John Hasler)
  Re: lpd network permissions problems (Bill Unruh)
  Re: lpd network permissions problems (Bill Unruh)
  Netscape 6 (Robert Wiegand)
  compiler flags (Dirk Groeneveld)
  optimizing kernelbuild (Dirk Groeneveld)

From: "vkd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motd and mail on login
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:11:32 GMT

Which script in linux checks mail on login and prints motd? I want to
disable the mail check on login. Where should I look?

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCO 'tar' media with Linux?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:19:27 GMT

Scott M. Navarre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:   I have a lot of files on backup tapes in tar format from a SCO Openserver
: Unix system that I would like to copy to my Linux system (which is using the
: same SCSI tape drive).  What is the best way to copy these to Linux?
:   Is there a 'tar' program somewhere out there for Linux that would allow me
: to do this?  (I notice that the 'tar' that comes with Linux doesn't handle
: devices - i.e. can't do a "tar xv6" to extract files from a floppy disk)

Using a device number (i.e., the "6") is not portable. I think (may be
wrong??) it's a SCO'ism. You need to use the more portable form, which
works on all tars on all Unixes: tar xvf /dev/fdx where the 'x' is '0'
for drive "A:" and '1' for "B:".

But probably more importantly, if these tar archives are split across
multiple volumes I believe you will not be able to restore anything but
the first tape with GNU tar. My experience is that each tar program
uses its own (i.e., different) mechanism to describe the nature of the
split itself.

You may be able to install the iBCS2 module on your LInux and bring over
a tar from a SCO system to use. Haven't tried it myself.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:30:03 -0000

Please advise me as to what my problem could be?My multimedia speakers are
working perfect,but when I install the headphone-microphone jacks into the
rear jacks of the sound card I have no audio.Also the sound recorder
portion on windows 98 accessories is inop too.

From: Subha Pindiproli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:30:12 -0000

Client Machine: Linux (SuSE 7.0) Pentium Class Machine
NIS/NFS Server: Solaris 2.6 Sun Compute engine

What: How to get File systems on Sun automount seamlessly on my Linux
client machine?

What have I done so far:
  1. replicated /etc/nsswitch.conf from Solaris settings.
  2. Copied file mounts from /etc/mnttab /etc/mtab

NIS works fine, as I can see the list of all users on my Linux client.

  3. /etc/netgroup has been edited to add my machine (hostname) to the list
of trusted hosts
  4. Have a local copy of /etc/auto_home and /etc/auto_master set in
Solaris machine

I am sure there is something missing from my end in getting the automount
to work. Surely there has to be 100s of Linux client machines connected to
Solaris NFS servers which has several file systems mounted on Solaris side.
So there has to be some simple  way to automount the Solaris file systems
on Linux Client ??

I am looking for answers..

Thank you
Subha

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:40:45 -0500
From: Scott Twitchell - EWB Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rexec not working

I can't seem to get rexec to work on my RH 7.0 machine.  I've changed the
configuration in the /etc/xinetd.d/rexec file to default to on and not to
disable:

# default: on
#       provides remote execution facilities with authentication based \
#       on user names and passwords.
service exec
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        log_on_success          += USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.rexecd
        disable                 = no
}

I've commented out the lines below in my /etc/pam.d/rexec file:

# auth       required   /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
# auth       required   /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

I can log into a unix box and rexec to my box fine, but I can't rexec out from
my box.  My hostname was added to the trusted host list on the remote node, but
it still won't work.  I can't even do an rexec from my box back to itself.

Any ideas?

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Warning Cannot find pixmap file ... Help!
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:44:16 GMT

Hi,
Can someone tell me how gnome finds png files it requires?
Gnome on my machine has just decided to forget where they are but they
are still there.
I do not get an icon where the Gnome footprint used to be, just small
letters saying start and all the icons on the left of the text on the
pop-up start menu have gone too.
I have also lost the task manager bit showing all my open apps and any
applets on the task bar such as the clock and modem monitor tool. I'm
guessing its a path gone missing in a config file somewhere. What
config files specify paths?
When I shut down my X session I get messages such as:
Warning Cannot find pixmap file gnome-logo-icon-transparent.png and a
load of other gnome-*.png files
Also one about /home/user/.gnome/gmc-imp8Cx could not be deleted or
something similar.
Any help gratefully received!
Tony C

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A stronger kill
Date: 22 Nov 2000 07:59:36 -0900

James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Villy Kruse wrote:
>
>> To be clear.  The deamon forks a child and the child dies, and then
>> the child becomes a zombie.  When the original daemon also terminates,
>> then the zombie will be inherited by the init process, which will take
>> care of proper burial.
>>

>Good Lord! It sounds like Stephen King (!! g)
>
>Jim.

It can be a horror story!

That brought to mind that on one particular digital telephone switching
system the operating system has a process known as "adam", which is the
father of all processes.  One possible log message is that everything
rebooted due to "the death of Adam"...

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

Subject: Time Flies and it is not Fun
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin McCormick)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:54:07 GMT

        I have built a 2.2.17 kernel for a Dell Dimension xps h266 and
as I stated in earlier messages to the group, it basically works.  The
system comes up, does dhcp, and talks on the network like it should.
The first hint of trouble happens at almost exactly 10 minutes after
boot when the date suddenly shoots ahead some random amount of time.
I have had it gain about 16 hours before or it may gain as much as 42
or 43 hours.  I don't think the actual amount tells us anything except
that something is writing junk to a counter.

        I was telling this tale of woe to some of our local Linux
group and somebody said that there is a jiffy clock which is
deliberately set to overflow about 10 minutes after initial start so
that one can know if one's software can handle the overflow.  It
sounds like something is not handling it, all right.  I don't know for
sure that this is the problem, but the glitch seems to hit right at
the ten minute mark.  I waited around another 10 minutes until the
uptime output said that the system was up for 20 minutes and there was
no further sudden increase.  Oddly enough, the uptime counter must not
derive its value from the same place as the counter for the time and
date, or the conversion program for the local time zone must be
corrupted for the uptime value does not reflect the glitch.  It keeps
indicating a value appropriate for the amount of time the system has
been what passes for up.

        When I posted this message last week, I mainly asked where I
should be looking to solve a problem like this, and my question still
remains although I have found out a few more things since then.

        One of the local Linux group folks I talked to said that he
had had similar problems and had gone back to an earlier kernel but
that 2.2.13 had a security problem of some kind.  I certainly hope
that I am not perpetually bound to an old kernel for this otherwise
great system.

        How often does the jiffy clock overflow under normal
conditions?  The person who told me about it wasn't sure but thought
it was several weeks and that the kernel boot procedure simply set it
to a value that was about 10 minutes worth of ticks below the maximum
value so that one would find out what happened sooner rather than
later.:-)  What is the granularity of this clock or how many times per
second does it get updated?

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group

------------------------------

Subject: Re: NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:54:44 GMT

Subha Pindiproli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Client Machine: Linux (SuSE 7.0) Pentium Class Machine
> NIS/NFS Server: Solaris 2.6 Sun Compute engine
>
> What: How to get File systems on Sun automount seamlessly on my Linux
> client machine?
>
> What have I done so far:
>   1. replicated /etc/nsswitch.conf from Solaris settings.
>   2. Copied file mounts from /etc/mnttab /etc/mtab
>
> NIS works fine, as I can see the list of all users on my Linux client.
>
>   3. /etc/netgroup has been edited to add my machine (hostname) to the list
> of trusted hosts
>   4. Have a local copy of /etc/auto_home and /etc/auto_master set in
> Solaris machine
>
> I am sure there is something missing from my end in getting the automount
> to work. Surely there has to be 100s of Linux client machines connected to
> Solaris NFS servers which has several file systems mounted on Solaris side.
> So there has to be some simple  way to automount the Solaris file systems
> on Linux Client ??

There is (this is hearsay) a security leak in Solaris <2.7 that can be
exploited by automounting, and so the automounter, or at least some
function of it, does not work.  You'll probably need to look through
the updates on docs.sun.com.  About the only thing that I've found
necessary to share any volume of a Solaris server, is to add the
shared volume entries in /etc/dfs/dfstab, and the correct uid/gid
mappings in /etc/exports and /etc/fstab for the client side for
read/write privileges, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant by
"seamlessly."

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: "Tagbo Ekwueme-Okoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help with Castlewood ORB and Linksys Etherfast 10/100 NIC
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:55:20 -0500

Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [NGs trimmed]
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:01:46 -0500, Tagbo Ekwueme-Okoli wrote:
> >I am building a 600 MHz Duron machine and I have purchased an IDE
Castlewood
> >ORB drive. Does anyone know how to get it working in Linux?
>
> Hook it up to somewhere (/dev/hdd, maybe?), insert a formatted ORB disk,
> and do

What do you mean by hook it up? Do you mean physically connect the drive to
the IDE cable or something else?

>   mkdir /mnt/orb      (only do this once!)
>   mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /mnt/orb
> then you should be able to access the thing via /mnt/orb.  You must
> umount the disk before ejecting it.  If it won't work, modprobe
> ide-floppy.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to boot the system with
> hdd=ide-scsi as a boot parameter, load the ide-scsi, scsi_mod, and
> sd_mod modules, then mount /dev/sda .  Basically, it should work just
> like a ZIP or JAZ disk.
>
> >In addition, I have an old PC that I want to convert to Linux, but it
> >wont recognize the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 NIC that I have installed.
> >I have tried to initialize it with the tulip driver but it fails
> >everytime. I am trying to install Linux Mandrake 7.2.
>
> If you could post the results of "cat /proc/pci" that directly concern
> your network card, I think someone could help you.  Or search Deja for
> info on "linksys" and see what you come up with?
>
> BTW, don't crosspost to so many bloody groups!  It's bad nettiquette.

Sorry about that, won't happen again

------------------------------

From: Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cron output redirection
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:50:33 GMT

I do not want to receive the output of a cron job in my mail so I've
redirected stderr and stdout to /dev/null. However, this doesn't seem to
be working because I'm still receiving the output in my mail.

To test this, I've set up a cron job as follows:

0,12,24,36,48 * * * * ping -c 3 apache.org

For this job, I receive the following output in my mail:

PING apache.org (63.211.145.10): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 63.211.145.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=240 time=157.0 ms
64 bytes from 63.211.145.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=240 time=213.4 ms
64 bytes from 63.211.145.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=240 time=198.7 ms

--- apache.org ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 157.0/189.7/213.4 ms

If I change the cron job to the following:

0,12,24,36,48 * * * * ping -c 3 apache.org 2>&1 > /dev/null

I still receive the same output in my mail.

Why is the output still being sent to my mailbox?

Thanks,
Bruce

From: "vkd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motd and mail on login
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:00:51 GMT

Nevermind, it was in SSHD_CONFIG

news:87TS5.109771$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Thomas Weholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Experience using Enhydra WebServer?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:05:50 GMT

Looking for hands-on experience using Enhydra Web-Server,
especially benchmarks, comments on drawbacks and benefits etc.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Software RAID
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:00:09 -0500

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>First let me say I know NOTHING about software RAID in Linux.
>
>That said, I have a server with Software RAID on a SUN running Solaris,
>and I would never inflict Software RAID on another machine as long as I
>live.  Hardware RAID can hide a lot of things from the user, and be just
>about as 'fast' as an individual disk.  Software RAID is going to slow
>your disk writes, well REALLY BAD.
>
>My advice would be spend the bucks for the Hardware, or DONT DO IT.
>
>--
>                                        Reg.Clemens
>                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have found that Software RAID on Linux to be MUCH faster than non RAID.  I
get almost the same speeds as Hardware RAID.  Don't know much about Solaris but
it sounds like a problem with the drivers.  The Software RAID drivers for linux
work very well.  I have 2 IDE drives with transfer rates of 19.5mb/s and
24mb/s.  In my RAID array I get 38mb/s.  I do agree that a hardware solution is
a better/faster option, however Software RAID is FREE!  If I can almost double
my disk I/O for free I will!  I have never had a problem with Software RAID, it
has been rock solid and reliable on my home server.  BTW my disk writes are
a good bit faster than a single drive, reads are MUCH faster!  With RAID 1 yes
your disk writes will be a little slower, but reads should be just less than
double single drive speeds.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   http://counter.li.org

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

------------------------------

From: "Dave Metvedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX FILE SERVER PROBLEM
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:07:51 GMT

Hello,
I am having problems copying ANY file larger then 32k onto our Linux file
server from our Win98 client workstations.
Has anyone encountered this problem before???
ANY suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,

David Metvedt
GIS Technician, Systems Administrator
Keystone Wildlife Research

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RH7,kgcc,linksys,SMP: cannotinsmod tulip.o!
Date: 22 Nov 2000 18:11:21 GMT

I'm using the production kernel with RH7 and have recompiled it using
kgcc.  I have downloaded the netdrivers.tgz archive, unpacked and executed
make.  After recompiling with kgcc I now can load the pci-scan.o module
without error, but I still cannot load the tulip.o module.  I am getting
the errors:

tulip.o: unresolved symbol dev_close_Rsmpab086563
tulip.o: unresolved symbol netif_rx_Rsmp0a3fcdc4
..
..
..

I'm notice the string "smp" in these error message.  I do have a dual
processor machine and I remember there being an alternative command
to compile tulip.c on the linksys page for machines with multiple
processors.  Could this be the problem?! Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: spam spam everywhere!
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:37:54 GMT

Jean-David Beyer writes:
> My most effective mail filter, in Netscape, is to automatically delete
> all e-mail from hotmail.com and hotbot.com.

Does anything but spam ever come from excite.com?
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: osu.sys.linux
Subject: Re: lpd network permissions problems
Date: 22 Nov 2000 18:39:43 GMT

In <8vf114$f5e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (doug reeder)
writes:

Yes, I have had this problem as well. Then after a few hours it went
away (I tried killing the lpd daemon on both machines and restarting
numberous times). Then suddenly it started working.
 There is something very very weird with lpd.

]I have lpr working fine when it prints to a printer connected to the
]parallel port, but other machines cannot print to this print queue
]over the network:

][root@slendro /root]# lpr /etc/fstab
][root@slendro /root]# lpq
]slendro.som.ohio-state.edu: sending to yodel.som.ohio-state.edu
]Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
]1st    root       7    /etc/fstab                            915 bytes

]connection to yodel.som.ohio-state.edu is down

]The printcap entry on the machine with the printer attached is:

]##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL laserjet 300x300 letter {} LaserJet Default {}
]lp:\
]       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
]       :mx#0:\
]       :sh:\
]       :lp=/dev/lp0:\
]       :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

]The printcap entry on the machine trying to print over the network is:

]##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE
]lp:\
]       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
]       :mx#0:\
]       :sh:\
]       :rm=yodel.som.ohio-state.edu:\
]       :rp=lp:

]I have added the remote machine to the hosts.lpd file on the machine
]with the printer:

][root@yodel /root]# cat /etc/hosts.lpd
]# hosts.lpd
]eroica.som.ohio-state.edu
]tactus.som.ohio-state.edu
]slendro.som.ohio-state.edu

]lpd is running fine on both hosts:

][root@yodel /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd status
]lpd (pid 667 513) is running...
][root@yodel /root]# ps -e | grep lp
]  513 ?        00:00:00 lpd
]  667 ?        00:00:00 lpd

][root@slendro /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd status
]lpd (pid 777 513) is running...
][root@slendro /root]# ps -e | grep lp
]  513 ?        00:00:00 lpd
]  777 ?        00:00:00 lpd

]and all other network communication between the two machines runs fine.

]Is there some other place I need to enable this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: osu.sys.linux
Date: 22 Nov 2000 18:53:17 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>May or may not make a difference but I just put the hostname ( tactus )
>and not the FQDN in the hosts.lpd file with an entry in hosts.

In my case I had this set up exactly this way. And still it did not work
for a long time.

>Also I don't think you should have two instances of lpd running. I saw
>this before when there was bad data in printcap, lpd would not function.
>The second instance was a fork from the first that was hung.
>--

The lpd daemon spaws itself whenever there is work to be done. Doing a
tcpdump my daemon would send a message over the remote printer machine,
and would get answers back and then everything would hang. So I suspect
that the second daemon was spawned to handle the job and then something
got in the way.

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape 6
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:40:08 -0600

If you tried out Netscape 6 for Linux what did you think of it.

I tried to use it and had lots of problems. Is it something I did
or is this thing really that buggy?

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: compiler flags
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:58:31 +0100

Hi!

I'm using CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686" to get fast
executables. I was told that this might be to aggressive for some
compiles, but I haven't had any problems so far compiling the whole
system from scratch.
No problems but parse errors in 3 packages (XFree86 4.0.1, Midnight
Commander and another one I can't recall right now).

My question is, can parse errors happen due to these compiler flags? If
not, what kind of errors might these compiler settings cause? What is
the message that tells me to go slow?

Dirk

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: optimizing kernelbuild
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:00:46 +0100

Hi!

I recently recognized that "make bzImage" causes the kernel to be built
with "-O2" setting. Could a "-O3" be harmful? Has anyone made any
experiences trying to optimize the kernel that way?

Dirk