From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ACL's i Linux filesystems, where is the discussion
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:42:10 +0100

I have seen much information on new file systems as ext3, xfs, ReiserFS
etc. There is a lot of talk out there about big file systems and
journaling but where is the discussion on ACL's in linux.

I think that to have a manageable file system we need ACL's added to files
and directories. I think that this is very important but I do not see any
indication of any advances in this field. Do YOU know why.

Even in small systems with maybe less the 50 users, you have to group users
in a ways that is logical and, to some extent, resembles the real world.
Without ACL's this is not really possible. Well it can be done of cause,
but things easily get to complicated to manage.

I would appreciate any information on this subject or any information on
where to get it.

Thanks in advance
Bo Jacobsen     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tobias Dresbach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install Disks for Debian Woody
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:54:21 +0100

Hi all,
i have donwloaded iso1 of debian woody from ftp.kando.hu but the bootdisks
(rescue/root) doesn´t work.
somebody knows where to get them? on all ftp-servers i have looked, the
directory:
debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/ is empty.

thanks in advance
tobi

------------------------------

From: "Alex Stoll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Partitioning questions
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:18:16 -0600

I bought a new 40 GB hard drive, and I'd like to partition it so I can have
Linux and Windows partitions. I already have a 8.4GB drive as my master: the
40GB will be the slave. My master is partitioned into four different drives
(I installed it when I had Windows 95 [and FAT16] - now I have 98 2nd Ed).
How would I do this? How big do I need to make the Linux partition? Will I
be able to access files from my Windows partition from Linux, and vice
versa? I've never used Linux before, but I'd like to. Thanks in advance,
--
Alex Stoll
N22YF [at] AlexStoll [dot] cjb [dot] net

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optimizing kernelbuild
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:39:03 -0600

Paul Kimoto wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dirk Groeneveld wrote:
> > I recently recognized that "make bzImage" causes the kernel to be built
> > with "-O2" setting. Could a "-O3" be harmful? Has anyone made any
> > experiences trying to optimize the kernel that way?
>
> "-O3" is the same as "-O2" plus the "-finline-functions" option.  With
> that option, the compiler is allowed to treat functions _not_ marked
> "__inline__"  as if they _were_ marked "__inline__".  ("__inline__" asks
> the compiler to integrate the function's code into the functions that
> called it, eliminating the function call itself.)
>
> However, the authors of the kernel have already thought about which
> functions are worth inlining, and so "-O3" tells the compiler to
> second-guess them.  The result is almost certainly larger executable
> code, which might (as a result) run slower.
>
> It is probably safe to try it, though.

I use the "-O9" setting for an i686-smp kernel compile and have no
troubles with it.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than: 98.850% of seti users +/- 0.01%.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: What is a "software USB modem"?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:00:28 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Lam Dang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I just bought an AOpenFM56-USB modem for a
> song at a local computer fair.  Its describes
> itself as an "external software USB modem."
>
> Which software?  Executed by which CPU?

I have no idea. Certainly the USB connection isn't fast enough for it to
be a software modem in the sense of internal software modems. It's
possible that the thing is designed to take firmware downloaded from the
computer at every use or something, though. Such things existed (but
were quite rare) even on RS-232 serial ports.

> I've got it to work with Windows 98.  Windows
> 2000 complains about a bad parameter and
> won't install it.  I've tried a more recent
> version from AOpen's Web site with the same
> results.  Any chance it may work with current
> USB drivers on Linux?

2.4.x Linux kernels include USB support, including support for some (but
not all) USB modems. Try it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
There's no way of knowing for sure before you try, although the USB
modem support was designed for a particular class of USB modems
(specifically, CDC-ACM modems), so if you don't see "CDC-ACM" on the
box, chances are it won't work in Linux.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Where can I get a pre-built POSE for Linux ?
Date: 26 Nov 2000 16:54:00 GMT

make |& error

--
Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC.                                       WWFD?

"Be conservative in what you generate, and liberal in what you accept"
        -- Matthew 10:16 (l.trans)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Install Disks for Debian Woody
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:14:01 GMT

In article <8vjla4$u62$02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tobias Dresbach wrote:
>Hi all,
>i have donwloaded iso1 of debian woody from ftp.kando.hu but the bootdisks
>(rescue/root) doesn´t work.
>somebody knows where to get them? on all ftp-servers i have looked, the
>directory:
>debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/ is empty.
>
>thanks in advance
>tobi

Install disks are only available from Potato.

You install potato then you point your dselect
to woody to move from potato to woody.
They apt-get via dselect will upgrade your potato
box to woody automagically.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Doug Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unique SB Awe problem, please help.
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:26:36 -0500

==============873F89A68DF446A4C6CACB0E

Hi all. Well I seem to be having a rather unique problem, since I
searched all the comp.os.linux archives and didn't find a similar post.
        Here goes. I have an ISA awe 64 on a debian 2.2 system with gnome and
enlightenment. I have configured isapnp.conf and it appears to load on
boot just fine. The modules appear to load but when I check /dev/sndstat
the card or loaded drivers do not show up. When I run modprobe -a sound
trace_init=1 it doesn't return any info about the drivers. I've got
sound through the elightenment sound daemon, window clicks and random
theme sounds and such, but, I cannot get any other sound program to
access the audio device. I get 'cannot open audio device'. The owner
ship of all the sound files have been changed to the group root.audio
and all users have been added to the group.
        Attached is excerpts from /var/log/messages, /etc/modules/
/etc/modules.conf, output of cat /dev/sndstat.

Any ideas?

TIA
D. Wolf

--

"If he is indeed wise, he does not bid you enter the house
of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of

========================= from /dev/sndstat ====================================
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux NightShade 2.2.17 #2 Tue Nov 14 18:40:04 EST 2000 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: AWE32-0.4.3 (RAM512k)
1: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16
1: AWE Midi Emu

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

============================ from /var/log/messges =============================

Nov 24 04:37:55 NightShade kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu
Savolainen 1993-1996
Nov 24 04:37:55 NightShade kernel: SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
Nov 24 04:37:55 NightShade kernel: <SoundBlaster EMU8000 (RAM512k)>
Nov 24 04:37:55 NightShade kernel: YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu
Savolainen, Rob Hooft 1993-1996

========================= from /etc/modules ====================================
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.

sound
soundcore
soundlow
sb
uart401
awe_wave
opl3

=========================from /etc/modules.conf ================================
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

From: John Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting RH partition from old Slackware System
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:35:06 -0500

I recently installed Redhat 6.2 on a second IDE hard drive (/dev/hdc)
and it works fine.  However on the first hard drive (/dev/hda) I'm still
running Slackware 96 with the 2.0.0 kernel.  I can mount /dev/hda2
from the Redhat system with: mount -t ext2 -r /dev/hda2 /mnt
No problem there.  But if I try to mount a redhat partition from the
Slackware system, I get:

EXT2-fs: 02:00: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features.
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc7, or too
many mounted file systems.

The partition table on the Redhat disk isn't what I'd intended since I
used Disk Druid, and it put the DOS partition, which I wanted on
/dev/hdc1 on /dev/hdc5, and the DOS partition fails to mount on bootup
with about the same error message: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hdc5, or too many mounted file systems.

I can live without the DOS partition on /dev/hdc and work around the
inability to mount /dev/hdc7 on the /mnt directory in Slackware, but it
would help to know why the mount will work from RH to Slackware, but not
the other way around.  Any ideas?

John Carroll

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: ipchains vs. iptables for firewalls??
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:40:24 GMT

I have seen a few articles talking about iptables as a replacement for
ipchains for firewalling.
Apparently this is a new feature (in the new kernel?) so I am
wondering if there are any comparisons between them as regards
functionality and ease-of-use?
Also: is there any firewall howto around dealing with iptables?

I was thinking of setting up a linux firewall next week to protect a
small business LAN which has had numerous attacks and outages and
which is presently using Windows 2000 server and ProxyServer 2.0 as
firewall. It hangs a lot because of the attacks and that stops email
flow....
I have read up on the various HOWTO:s regarding this issue and had
planned on using RedHat 6.2 with a minimal install plus ipchains. But
if iptables is a better choice I would like to know.
And, is there a kernel package for RH6.2 with the new kernel?
Or do I have to compile it myself (I did not plan on installing any
compilers on this box, for security reasons).
Any help appreciated.

Bo Berglund

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP: My public key is available at the following locations:
Idap://certserver.pgp.com
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: Daniel Rall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:55:30 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'm trying this again with a "make" command that will generate a file
> which will include the error messages.
>
> cd /tmp
> tar zxvf emulator*
> cd Emulator*
> cd BuildUnix
> ./configure
>
> Everything is fine upto this point, so FLTK must be properly installed,
> as well as dependencies.  Since I'm using RedHat Linux 7.0, I'm assuming
> that I have proper compilers.
>
> make 2>&1 | tee make.out

[SNIP]
> c++ -DHAVE_DIRENT_H=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_ENDIAN_H=1 -DHAVE_FCNTL_H=1
>-DHAVE_LIMITS_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1
>-DHAVE_TYPE_SOCKLEN_T=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA=1 -DHAVE_MKDIR=1
>-DHAVE_LIBFLTK=1  -I. -I.  -I./../SrcShared -I./../SrcShared/Hardware
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Device -I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Core/Hardware/IncsPrv
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Core/System/IncsPrv
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Incs -I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Incs/Core
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Incs/Core/Hardware
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Incs/Core/System
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Incs/Core/UI
>-I./../SrcShared/Palm/Platform/Incs/Libraries -I./../SrcShared/Gzip
>-I./../SrcShared/jpeg -I./../SrcShared/omnithread -I./../SrcShared/UAE -I./../SrcUnix
>-I./../SrcUnix/espws-2.0    -DUNIX -D__PALMOS_TRAPS__=0
>-DEMULATION_LEVEL=EMULATION_UNIX -O2  -DHAS_PROFILING=0 -DNDEBUG  -fexceptions -Wall
>-Wno-multichar -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-conversion    -D_REENTRANT -DNoNanoSleep
>-DPthreadDraftVersion=10 -I/usr/X11R6/include -c ./../SrcShared/EmDevice.cpp
> In file included from ./../SrcShared/EmDevice.cpp:51:
> ../SrcShared/EmROMReader.h: In method `bool EmROMReader<A>::ContainsDB
> (basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
> __default_alloc_template<true, 0> >) const':
> ../SrcShared/EmROMReader.h:323: `typedef class
> vector<EmROMReader<LAS>::DatabaseType, __default_alloc_template<true,
> 0> > EmROMReader<LAS>::DatabaseList' is private
> ../SrcShared/EmROMReader.h:816: within this context
> make[1]: *** [EmDevice.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Emulator_Src_3.0a7/BuildUnix'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

The source is incorrect.  This this error to the mainters along with
your system/build information, and/or get a newer version.

Daniel

------------------------------

From: "Stu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: RH6.2 and Athlon, Asus A7V
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:59:26 -0000

I have recently upgraded my computer to:

Athlon 850 Socket A
Asus A7V Motherboard
256Mb

I have reinstalled RedHat 6.2 but when I boot the new installation I get a
general protection fault whilst it is trying to 'disable CPUID serial
number'. The redhat rescue disk, and installation disk, boot fine so I guess
it is a problem with the configuration of the kernel that RedHat has
installed.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get my kernel to load successfully ?

comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: Daniel Rall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:03:08 GMT

Daniel Rall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > In file included from ./../SrcShared/EmDevice.cpp:51:
> > ../SrcShared/EmROMReader.h: In method `bool EmROMReader<A>::ContainsDB
> > (basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
> > __default_alloc_template<true, 0> >) const':
> > ../SrcShared/EmROMReader.h:323: `typedef class
> > vector<EmROMReader<LAS>::DatabaseType, __default_alloc_template<true,
> > 0> > EmROMReader<LAS>::DatabaseList' is private
> > ../SrcShared/EmROMReader.h:816: within this context
> > make[1]: *** [EmDevice.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Emulator_Src_3.0a7/BuildUnix'
> > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> The source is incorrect.  This this error to the mainters along with
> your system/build information, and/or get a newer version.

Yipes--that should read that the source code you downloaded may be
incorrect, and that you should mail the error directly to the
maintainers and get a hold of a later version.  Apologizes for the
self-reply.

Daniel

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:04:56 -0500

* "Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying this again with a "make" command that will generate a file
> which will include the error messages.

It would have been enough to just post the last, say 10-15 lines.

Anyway, it seems taht in fact the problemis in the source, as far as I
can tell. have you tried compiling a different Version?

I know for a fact that
http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/tools/emulator/emulator_src_30a6.tar.gz
isntalls without a problem (that was the version used in the article you
mentioned)

> Now I see pages & pages of jumble scroll by in the terminal window. When
> I type "pose", I get the following error message. bash: pose: command
> not found Is it possible that pose is located somewhere, but I can't
> find it,...

No, no - the "make" gives you an error - that means it was not successful
in compiling the program. Thsu, you can't find the problem. It would have
been in a different directory, probably, anyway.

When I find a moment, I will try to install the version of pose you're
having problems with.

-Jan

P.S.: Fup2 the linux-ng's, as I believe that the pilot-NG's don't care
too much about this thread.

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Microsoft is not the Borg collective
        - the Borg collective has proper networking.