Hi there,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, John Sowden wrote:

> Is it possible to have a DOS application, e.g. WordStar running under
> dos-emu/MS-DOS 6.22 access the files on another PC via ethernet (LAN)
> running the same?

When I tried to set up a DOS network stack under DOS and DOSEMU I ran
into a lot of very flaky software, resulting in unreliable data transfers
which in the end I abandoned.

If I were going to try something like this, I'd have Linux do the file
sharing bit across the network, so that the two Linux boxes could
happily manipulate the same data, and then make the shared directory
(or directories) visible to DOS somehow afterwards.  DOS doesn't need
to know that the files/directories are not really what and where it
thinks they are.  You will need to be careful about simultaneous access
to files of course as DOS has no concepts of file ownership and stuff
like that.

73,
Ged.