Hello.

Boris wrote:
> That sound patch from stas works great.
Thanks :)

> -Their seems to be abit of a bug in it though.
I would be happy if there is only one bug, but
in fact there are many more right now (development
stage). I was updating the patch rather frequently,
but now I am slightly out of time, so it wasn't
updated last week. I am going to update it at a
weekend to fix some of the reported issues.

> I have the shareware
> version of Fatty Bears Birthday Surprise with plays audio and when the
> character speaks, I hear the voice when they speak the first sentence
> but
> then it goes to the next sentence, I hear nothing.
There are 2 ways of getting such bugs fixed:
- You can produce and mail me a log (-D9+S), and this
can probably help me to diagnose and fix the problem.
- You can upload the game itself on an FTP and
mail me a link so that I can have a look at it.
There are also some known problems with the SB emu,
that can't be fixed in a short term, so no guarantee
that your particular game will work.
Big note: There are many bugs in the OSS sound
drivers that can prevent SB emu from working
correctly. I am going to make it more OSS-friendly,
but only a software mixing layer can really fix
all the issues with the OSS/Free.

> -The third is that when tring to run doom1,doom2, It loads the data,
> but
> *always* halts when setting up the "I_StartupTimer().
If you try it on an older (eg. 1.0.2) dosemu, it will
lock up even earlier, so some work was done on it, but
the problem is not fully resolved yet.

> This is when
> sound[Sound FX] is turned on. When I turn sound off, It works no
> problem.
> Any ideas how to fix that? That would be a plus.
This was discussed a lot in this list. The problem
was explained by Vlad Romascanu and there were some
workarounds proposed here as well as privately in
my mailbox. I liked the idea of switching to CPUemu
when interrupts are disabled (propossed by Steffen),
but switching to/from CPUemu under DPMI doesn't seem
to be possible right now...
Another proposed workaround was to do a run-time code
patching to eliminate the evil cli instructions, but
I am suspicious about this one...
Anyway, for now you can use CPUemu to play Doom2.
This is slow and unreliable, but currently it seems
to be the only way to get this game running with
sound.