Hello.

Boris wrote:
> So is something wrong with the DPMI part of dosemu that
> haults Doom2?
This patch simply measures a time period of a disabled interrupts
and re-enables them in case of a timeout (timeout is set in
a $_features, my recommendation is 200 usecs).
Doom2 needs this because it uses a popf instr to enable the
ints, which doesn't touch the IF flag because IOPL < CPL and
doesn't generate an exception due to a
bug/limitation/feature of an Intel's CPUs.
But force re-enabling the interrupts can hurt other programs
esp. given the current state of the dosemu's PIC code (badly
broken), that is one problem.
The other problem is that 200us timeout is OK for Doom2
(but as you told, it stutters) but probably not OK for
some other progs and you will have to calibrate it in your
dosemu.conf.

> If so, why is it a dangerous hack and why not put it into
> the main source [and not have to use the features option to set it?].
Right, of course it doesn't hurt unless explicitly enabled.
The reason why it is still not in the mainstream (atleast
why I haven't submitted it) is because I have to try some
other ways of solving this problem.
For example we can do a blacklist of a cli unstructions
that have triggered an extended timeout (1 sec for ex)
and ignore (rather than patching out) that cli's for the
subsequent passes. That will (atleast theoretically) allow
to get rid of the both stated above problems.

> Also, It says that the sound patch emulates a SB Pro,
... which still have some problems... Classic SB, however,
is emulated nearly perfectly now, speaking about its DSP.

> Does it do MIDI
> yet?
OKey, the confusion here is that my patch deals only with
the following subsystems: SB DSP, SB Mixer and DMA. Other
parts (such as MPU401 and OPL) are yet out of the scope.
So, for MIDI you can use an MPU401 which used to work nearly
perfectly for years in dosemu but you'll need a built-in
MIDI support in your sound card and /dev/midi configured.
OPL is not supported yet, but I have some plans on supporting
it in the future (with the MAME OPL2 emulator, I think).

> a midi hack would be excellent too. :)
The midi "hack" is not trivial to hack it in:) Even with the
ready-for-use MAME OPL emu, we still need a software mixing
layer to get it working together with a digital sound.

> Is the IPX part of dosemu broken? It would be nice to get
> IPX
> applications working and have network games. :) I will send the
> information to stas about the dosemu information when running these
> programs.
No need: I have never dealt with dosemu's IPX support. So try
dosemu-bugs mailing list CC'ing here at the same time, and
maybe someone will pick it up. There are many developers
that are silent in this list, but reading it.