Hello.

Simon Bridger wrote:
Slow is a nuisance, but it isn't terminally slow.
The showstopper is the mouse behaviour. What happens is this. When the mouse reaches the edge of the autotrax screen, autotrax pans, and moves its own mouse cursor back to the middle of the screen.
If only this is a problem, then surprise:
just press Ctrl+Alt+Home and the mouse
is trapped.
Note: there are generally more than one
"Home" button on the keyboard, but only
one will work for catching the mouse.

Would it be possible to make an xdos session run fullscreen?
This is not always possible. Try the
xxx_aspect and xxxfact options of your
dosemu.conf (ie $_X_fixed_aspect etc).

- with the xwindows mouse disabled/hidden (since autotrax is doing all its own mouse display)
Yep, see above for the recipe.

Assuming the mouse problem is solvable, is there a way to rewrite the autotrax driver to make it faster when using the xdos screen?
No idea. xdos is always slow, as it have
to emulate all the hardware registers of
the VGA-compatible card.
It would be easier to enlarge an IO bitmap
in the 2.5 kernel after all.

As I had another look at it I also notice that the vesa drivers for 1024x768 and smaller work properly.
Just to avoid any confusion: what I told
you about VESA non-functionality and all the
underlaying problems, was under the quote
of your question regarding a direct video
card access (under console). xdos have its
own problems and limitations, but after all
it is hardware-independant, so the VESA is
(partially) supported there for any video
card that can run X.
xdos may work for you, but having the fast
full-screen direct VESA under console would
still be quite cool:) Unfortunately, currently
this is possible only on some absolete boards
like S3 Trio.