On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> Found my missing boot.log by doing an strace:
>
> strace -omytest -f -e trace=file dosemu
>
> In mytest there is a line
>
> 594   open("/tmp/dosemu.qvalfr/boot.log",
> O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 3
>
> So boot.log is somewhere in /tmp, not in ~/.dosemu -- and it
> *disappears* when (x)dosemu terminates. That's why I couldn't find
> it; I can see it in another VC/xterm only while (x)dosemu is still
> running.
>
> Any idea what could cause this?

are you sure that you're not using Debian's dosemu script
(ie. /usr/bin/dosemu installed by Debian)? It does:

workdir=$(mktemp -u ${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/dosemu.XXXXXX | tr A-Z a-z)
LOG=$workdir/boot.log

which explains what you get. If you use DOSEMU 1.1.x you should be using
the supplied dosemu script (which make install puts in /usr/local/bin/ by
default)

Bart