On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Michel van der Kleij wrote:

> I'm running DOSemu 1.0.2.1 and FreeDOS 1.1.28 on Red Hat 7.3 and am unable
> to access /dev/lp0 directly.

First try upgrading to 1.2.0rc1

You need root privileges since /dev/lp0 isn't accessed (just
"claimed") but rather the direct I/O ports behind it.

This means that printing goes like in real DOS, no translation at all by a
Linux printer driver.

> #$_printer = "lexmark" # list of (/etc/printcap) printer names to appear as
> # LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 (not all are needed, empty for none)
> #$_printer_timeout = (20)# idle time in seconds before spooling out
>
> #$_ports = ""
> $_ports = " device /dev/lp0 fast range 0x378 0x37a "
>
> The hex values are derived from /proc/ioports, but I get no response at all
> from the printer. When I uncomment the $_printer* and use just $_ports = "", a
> command like "type autoexec.bat > prn" works. But the Fortran program still
> does not work. Then the line below from the HOWTO:
>
> $_ports { device /dev/lp1 fast range 0x378 0x37f }

Hmm -- the HOWTO uses old style here. You should write that as
$_ports = "device /dev/lp0 fast range 0x378 0x37f"

I'll update the howto to reflect that.

Bart