On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Vasil Daskalov wrote:

> I'm trying to run a Clipper database program in network mode in DOSEMU. The
> program opens some files for exclusive access, assuming that no other
> program can open them. This assumption holds true under MSDOS 6.22, Windows
> 2000 and other network environments. However, two instances of this program,
> running in two instances of DOSEMU on one Linux machine, can open these
> files simultaneously, ruining the program logic. The machine runs Debian
> Linux 3.0, kernel version 2.2.20.

The fundamental problem is that DOS locking and Linux locking are
inherently incompatible. The emulation attempted by DOSEMU may work or may
not work. But in your case it doesn't even try since DOSEMU failed its
first "get lock" attempt.

You can try:
- to run kernel 2.4.x instead of 2.2. it supports large file locking which
  may be more reliable.
- play with $_full_file_locks in dosemu.conf or ~/.dosemurc

using SHARE won't have any effect on lredir'ed drives.

Bart