Greetings:

As Stas pointed out you can dispense with the midid way and simply link your ALSA MIDI ports to the following dosemu components:

~/.dosemu/run/dosemu-midi ---> /dev/snd/midiC1D0 [this represents a link to an ALSA virtual MIDI port, but you can link to whatever MIDI port you prefer]
~/.dosemu/run/dosemu-midi_in ---> /dev/midi00 [see above]

If you don't know how to make a link, see 'man ln' at the command prompt, it should tell you all you need to know.

Let me know if you need further assistance. I'm not sure about the FM synth stuff, Stas's info should get you started.

Best,

dp

PS: I use MIDI I/O under dosemu to run Sequencer Plus Gold, one of the best MIDI sequencers ever made. Performance under dosemu is excellent.