Linux-Networking Digest #747, Volume #9           Sat, 2 Jan 99 03:14:17 EST

Contents:
  Re: Networking Problem - Stuckup Machine?!? (Mike Ireton)
  Re: Suggestion for Linux developers (Green Manalishi)
  Re: i've looked in every cotton pickin log file (Green Manalishi)
  Re: Solved: Olicom TR (3137) Problem (Kazin)
  Re: Dynamic IP and stale sockets (Vincent Zweije)
  Re: Telnet & FTP slow to respond ? ! (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: diald (Vincent Zweije)
  Re: Network behind PPP ("George")
  Re: How to build a Linux cluster? ("K. K@FKA")
  Re: Apache web server on 5.1 ("Donald K. Tyler")
  Re: ftpd ("Donald K. Tyler")
  Re: DONT LAUGH!!! I'm overseas ("Richard F. Jr.")
  Re: How to build a Linux cluster? (Frank Sweetser)
  Re: ftp download speed difference (Mike Ireton)
  Re: Networking Problem - Stuckup Machine?!? (Mike Ireton)
  Re: NIS binding failure (Mike Ireton)
  Re: Networking Problem - Stuckup Machine?!? ("Rod  Martin")
  Windows 98 machine can't logon to Linux Server ("Jose Antonio C. Baduria")
  ipxtund v 1.0.3 (Rejean Bisson)
  how to start a small ISP? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  routing to marry nets with a ppp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Dial up with RH 5.0 (Matthew Vanecek)
  Re: Network behind PPP ("Jose Antonio C. Baduria")
  Re: Modem  dial-up access? (Larry Rivera)
  Re: Apache web server on 5.1 (Wintermute)

From: Mike Ireton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networking Problem - Stuckup Machine?!?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:34 GMT

Rod Martin wrote:

I used the host IP of 192.168.0.1 (my other computers, win boxes, ect

> are 192.168.0.x).   I set no gateway (since there is none) and used a
> netmask of 255.255.255.0 and a network of 192.168.0.0.   The problem
> is that when I try to ping the Amiga-linux from another computer it
> fails
> until I tell the amiga to ping them first.  Its like the Amiga is
> stuck up or something and refuses to listen to anyone unless it pings
> them first.  Once I ping the other machine it can talk to the amiga
> (telenet, httpd etc...) for about 5-10mins and then the Amiga stops
> listening until I ping the other computer again.  Is this wierd or
> what.  I have never seen this happen with any other version of Linux
> or OS for that matter.  Then again the only other version of Linux I
> messed with at work was already fully configured for network as a
> gateway to the internet, etc...

This sounds like it could be an ARP problem although I don't know why it
would be happening in such a vanilla installation as yours. What do you
have the Broadcast address set to on your amiga? (use ifconfig to show
you this). It should be, in your case, 192.168.0.255.

--
Mike Ireton
Network Systems Manager

------------------------------

From: Green Manalishi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Suggestion for Linux developers
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:40 GMT

I'm speaking, obviously, from my own experience and I've never had any alien
box invade my desktop.

Green

From: Green Manalishi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i've looked in every cotton pickin log file
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:41 GMT

/var/log/messages

Green

------------------------------

From: Kazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Solved: Olicom TR (3137) Problem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:45 GMT

Gordon Haverland wrote:

>   I just thought I would pass this on.  I have a
> genuine IBM PC (PPro-200 - sometimes known as a 14U)
> with a 3Com 3C509 and a Olicom OC-3137 NIC in it.
> Installing the card and compiling the kernel was
> fun, but I couldn't ping either into or out of
> the TR card.

        I had the same problem with an OC-3136, on ONE of my machines.  On the
other, it worked just fine.

>   It turns out that this card comes up in PCI bus
> mastering mode, and somehow Linux and this card
> just don't work together in that mode.  Put the card
> into slave mode, and it works fine.

        With the 3136, this works *most* of the time.  Once in a while I'll
start the machine up, and have to drop the interface, unload the module,
reload it, and bring the interface up again.
        I did notice that my MAC address has -00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 appended
to the end of it when I look with ifconfig - but on the other machine
(the one that works), it looks fine.
        I spent several hours on the phone with Olicom, but neither of us
figured it out.  I guess I can live with it.

  Mike Stella                             Software / Systems Engineer
  http://www.sector13.org/kazin            Thirteen Technologies, LLC

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Zweije)
Subject: Re: Dynamic IP and stale sockets
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:20 GMT

In article <751lb1$haj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, J Scott Berg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

||  So my question is how do I stop the kernel from sending this junk
||  before the timeout period, or at least get it to send it somewhere
||  else other than down the new ppp connection that I open.

Just an idea: build a firewall to block sending out packets with source
addresses which aren't your own?
--
Vincent Zweije <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Telnet & FTP slow to respond ? !
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:18 GMT

In article <754eve$kph$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am just telnetting to the internal IP of the box 192.168.1.1 ...

Look at what actually starts in inetd.conf when you do this. Tcpd
is going to try to reverse-resolve the address to check against
hosts.allow, hosts.deny and to log the name.  You should either
put all of your local addresses in your /etc/hosts file or
run a nameserver with forward and reverse mapping.

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Zweije)
Subject: Re: diald
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, M
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

||  I can't seem to get diald to work.  The following is an example failed
||  session.  ppp-on will work
||  if I don't turn on diald.  Does anyone see the problem?

||  Dec 13 17:01:03 jc chat[147]: send (^JAT^M^M)
||  Dec 13 17:01:03 jc chat[147]: expect (OK)
||  Dec 13 17:01:11 jc chat[147]: alarm

I suspect your modem doesn't like ^J (line feed) characters, causing it
to miss the AT command.

||  TIMEOUT 8
||  ABORT '\nBUSY\r'
||  ABORT '\nNO CARRIER\r'
||  ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r'
||  '' '\nAT\r'
||  OK ATDT$TELEPHONE
||  TIMEOUT 40
||  'BIS' '\r\d\r\d'
||  Name:-Name: $HOST_NAME
||  ID: $LOGIN
||  assword: $PASSWORD
||  'more !' 'go pppconnect'

Hmm.. Yup.  Take out the \n from the chat script.  You can take out most
of the \r as well.  I'm not sure about the response string to BIS.

Ciao.                                                           Vincent.

From: "George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network behind PPP
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:24 GMT

Recompile your kernel allowing ip-masq and ip-forwarding. In your situation
it's the only way to go .

George

Tristan Braun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I have build up a network with 1 Linux an d 1 Win98 PC. They have the IP
> numbers 192.168.0.1 (= Linux = defaultGW) and 192.168.0.2 with Subnet
> 255.255.255.0.
>
> The Linux PC is connected to my ISProvider (T-Online) with PPP with no
> problems. He gets dynamic IP-address. This IP is the default route.
>
> Now I want the Win98 PC to connect to the Internet (HTTP, POP, SMTP ...)
> over the Linux as a gw. Here is the default route the Linux PC. When I
try
> to PING it is not reachable and TRACERT he find the first hop (my Linux
PC)

------------------------------

From: "K. K@FKA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to build a Linux cluster?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:42 GMT

In fact we are looking foward to build a server for the department. But instead
of buying a complete serveur (like a multi-processor) we thought that it would
be interesting to have 3-5 PC (PII300-400) with Linux but considered as a single
machine that can handle heavy loads.

Am I correct ? Is this the definition of a cluster?

K.

------------------------------

From: "Donald K. Tyler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Apache web server on 5.1
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:44 GMT

http://www.apache.org

------------------------------

From: "Donald K. Tyler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ftpd
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:43 GMT

Brian,
    There are a couple of options here the one I recommend is getting a copy of
ncftpd from
www.ncftp.com the server for Linux is free. If you don't want to do that just
install the package wu-ftpd-2.4.2b15-5.i386.rpm from RedHat. I do recommend that
you read the FAQ though as there are some security problems with the Washington
University version if not setup correctly.

Don Tyler
Online Dialup Internet Enterprises

------------------------------

From: "Richard F. Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DONT LAUGH!!! I'm overseas
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:52 GMT

go to http://www.suse.com
S.u.S.E. 5.3 is the best Linux distro I ever seen for a newbe, I do not suggest
downloading unless you got a DSL, Cable Modem or other HIGH SPEED dial-up
at 56kbs SuSE Linux 5.3 ALL Of IT will take about 5 days +
I would order it you get 5 CD's and a NICE manual VERY EASY to understand....

BUT if you are going to DL it just go to ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE-Linux/
and download ALL of the 5.3 dir.

Have fun,
Rich
"S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 ROCKS easy to install and configure and KICKS but"
say that for Red Hat...........

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:49 GMT

"K. K@FKA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In fact we are looking foward to build a server for the department. But
> instead of buying a complete serveur (like a multi-processor) we thought
> that it would be interesting to have 3-5 PC (PII300-400) with Linux but
> considered as a single machine that can handle heavy loads.
>
> Am I correct ? Is this the definition of a cluster?

this can be, however, this isn't really what beowulf clusters are aiming
for.  what you could do, however, is use a dns round robin to distribute
people logging in among the various machines.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.1.131ac6   i586 | at public servers
I guess what I'm saying is that the croak in question is requiring
agreement (in the linguistic sense) that isn't buying us anything.

From: Mike Ireton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ftp download speed difference
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I don't know why:
>
> My ftp download speed of the ftp server, which is in the same LAN segment as
> the client, is only about half of that of the ftp server which is in the
> different LAN segment from the client. Please note: Only download, the upload
> speed is almost the same.

Sounds like a half-duplex nix card and a full-duplex nic card somewhere in that
configuration. What kind of cards are you using and are there any switches
involved in this setup?

--
Mike Ireton
Network Systems Manager

------------------------------

From: Mike Ireton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:55 GMT

Rod Martin wrote:

> tcpdump says nothing when the machine is not responding... but once I get it
> going it says normal echo/responses.  I installed samba so maybe that will
> keep the network alive...

You'll need to invoke tcpdump the right way - tcpdump -lni eth0 (or whatever
name your network interface has). I also wanted to reccomend that if this does
look like arp, you could insert a static arp entry in the arp table for one of
the other machines and see if that makes a difference for you.

--
Mike Ireton
Network Systems Manager

------------------------------

From: Mike Ireton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIS binding failure
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:56 GMT

Bill Walker wrote:

> I am running RedHat 5.2 and have setup the NIS server and and NIS client on
> two different machines. After making the NIS server files and starting the
> server I ran the YPBINF command on the client. After doing so ypwhich says
> the domain is not bound. If i use the -h and -d options with yppoll it will
> retrieve information from the server. If I don't use the -h and -d it cannot
> connect to the server. I conclude that the server and client are talking but
> I have missed something in the documentation which is not binding me to the
> domain. Can anyone point me to a troublshooting FAQ?

Make sure your NISDOMAIN is not "(none)" and that you are correctly setting it
at boottime with domainname. IE: Your NIS master must has it's domainname set
(the NIS domain name, not the DNS domain name. Look at the man page for
domainname) to something, and must be running ypserv and ypbind. Your NIS
clients must also use domainname to set their nis domain name, and must be
running ypbind. Check out /var/log/messages and see if you see any funny
messages from ypbin on your client.

--
Mike Ireton
Network Systems Manager

------------------------------

From: "Rod  Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:44:59 GMT

I installed samba and (I guess this makes sence) it helps keep the
connection alive or at least makes it last longer.  But still intimitantly
stops.  When things are working I see via TCPDUMP things like arp who-has
192.168.0.3 (my win98box) tell 192.168.0.1
                                       arp reply 192.168.0.3 is at
0:40:f6:d4:28:6d
So I guess ARP is working correctly.
I am really beginning to put my suspicion to the network driver for the
hydra card.  But I would of expected a patch by now...but when linux boots
and it finds my card it says hydra driver v2.1 BETA.... but its been the
same version almost ever since Linux was ported.

------------------------------

From: "Jose Antonio C. Baduria" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows 98 machine can't logon to Linux Server
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:03 GMT

Good Afternoon!!

    I have successfully connected Windows 95 clients with my Linux
Server. However, when I
tried to connect a Windows 98 client, it can't logon to the Linux
Server. I made the same settings
that worked with Windows 95 but it won't work with Windows 98. Did I
miss any settings? Does
anyone knows how to connect Windows 98 clients with Linux Server? Any
help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------------

From: Rejean Bisson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipxtund v 1.0.3
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:07 GMT

Hi,

I try to compile ipxtund-1.0.3, and after many many hours, I can't build
that...

I try with the option -Lz  and many many differents versions of libz.a
libz.conf etc... but.......

If you have this compiled version, please send to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I will appreciate greatly
Thanks for any help

Rejean Bisson, Administrateur de reseaux
http://www.itr.qc.ca/~rejean
Les Consultants Androide Inc., Internet Trois-Rivieres
Partenaire Cogeco Cable / Cogeco Cable business partner
1620, 6ieme rue, Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada, G8Y 5B8
Tel: (819) 379-2866, Fax: 379-0343, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: how to start a small ISP?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:20 GMT

does any1 know of any good resources on the web that can explain to me in
detail about setting up a small ISP? thanx

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: routing to marry nets with a ppp
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:19 GMT

With the help of proxyarp I've got each machine on a pppd link (like
A2 ang B2 below)  talking to worksations networked to the other one.
What routing do I need to enable end-to-end talk from a workstation
all the way to one of the workstations beyond the other end of the
ppp?

          A1                    B1
           |                        |
          A2 ----ppp----- B2
           |                        |
          A3                    B3

The A's are networked, the B's are networked, A2 and B2 are ppp'd. B1
and B3 can ping as far as A2 but cannot penetrate to the "interior"
workstations A1 and A3. Conversely for the A's talking to the B's.

I'd want A1 and A3 to have routes through to B1 and B3: and B1/B3 back
through to A1/A3.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dial up with RH 5.0
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:21 GMT

Brian Reay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to initiate a dial up to start a PPP contion to my ISP
> with RH 5.0
>
> I've checked PPP and TCP/IP are installed and set up a PPP conection in
> using the  Network configuration tool, adding
> phone numbers, id and pw etc and activated the PPP link.
>
> The modem is set up on 'com3' and appears OK.
>
> However, other that one apparantly random attempt at dialing, the modem
> doesn't dial out. I can't find and equivalent to clicking on a DUN
> icon (a la Win 95) nor an option in Netscape to initiate a connection
> automatically.
>
> (I'm pretty sure the line and modem are OK, they work under Win 95)
> Am I missing something obvious?
>
> The RH documentation is all but useless in this area.
>
> Thanks in advance & Regards
>
> Brian
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check to see if you can dial out using minicom.  You might need to
change the device you are using for the modem, e.g., /dev/cua1,
/dev/cua2, whatever.

If you have a PnP modem, you will need to set that up with isapnp tools,
first.

Use the network configuration tool to set up the ppp stuff, but also
check the config files to make sure that they were set up right (I don't
wholly trust GUI configurators. . .), and check to box for allowing
users to activate the interface.

The command to use in RH to start the ppp connection is "ifup".  This is
for any network interface, actually.  So, for ppp, it would be "ifup
ppp0" for the first (or only) ppp device.
--
Matthew Vanecek

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <-----Please remove the NOSPAM in my Reply-To to
send me mail.  I appreciate your effort! :-)

Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
http://www.unt.edu/bcis
Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

------------------------------

From: "Jose Antonio C. Baduria" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:23 GMT

Hello Tristan,

    In order for you to connect outside the internet, you should have either a
IP forwarding program,
a firewall or a proxy server. I am currently using a firewall. It is called
TIS FWTK which can be
downloaded from www.tis.com. For details read the Firewalling and Proxy Server
HOWTO. Also,
you need to setup IP masquerading. For details read the IP Masquerade
mini-HOWTO. I hope this
helps.
    Anyway, I have a question for you. I can't setup my Windows 98 client to
login with my Linux
Server. I did the same settings I used with WIndows 95 clients but it won't
work.  Could you help
me in setting up Windows 98 so that it can logon in Linux thru Samba?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: Larry Rivera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem  dial-up access?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:28 GMT

Andy Pickering wrote:

> I need to have access  to  my linux box via a modem?  Is it simply a   case
> of  running a getty process on the  serial port (I have set  up dumb
> terminals before) or is there anything else involved i.e. setting up
> auto-answer  on the modem?
>
> Any help  greatly  appreciated
> Cheers,
> Andy

Check out mgetty which is "getty for modems" and works with ppp

------------------------------

From: Wintermute <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:25 GMT

I would recommend http://www.jlk.net/
They have more material for the beginner.

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Donald K. Tyler wrote:

:http://www.apache.org
:
:Dwane Smith wrote:
:
:> Any one know of a good and easy howto on setting
:> up apache on redhat 5.1. It is install and running but can't
:> not access it from www.
:>
:> Thanks
: